Water Lines and VApour Barrier

Users who are viewing this thread

highexplosive906

Reaction score
Hello,

I am developing my basement and I have a question about water lines and the vapour barrier.

The outside wall of my basement is framed (steel studs), insulated, and has a vapour barrier. My toilet, shower, and sink will go against this outside wall.

Can my water lines be run inside of the steel studs or do the water line have to remain outside of the water vapour? What is the best way to deal with this?

The old college try

Engineering Technician
Reaction score
The purpose of the vapor (vapour - Canadian??) barrier is to keep water vapor in the house (generated from showers, evaporation, humidity, etc.) from getting into the insulation. Water lines can be run between the studs behind the barrier as long as all of the pipe penetrations through the wall are carefully sealed to ensure that a continuous barrier exists. Keep in mind that if you run the pipes in an exterior wall, as you get closer to the top of the basement wall, you run the risk of the pipes freezing in the winter if not properly protected with insulation.

highexplosive906

Reaction score
lol...yes Canadian. Thanks for the reply. My vapour barrier isnt even sealed at the top or bottom of the wall anyways. The plastic is simply attached to the studs and insulation is between the plastic and the concrete......thus, it sounds like my plastic water lines could then sit between the insulation and the vapour barrier plastic.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipes

The location of the pipes has NOTHING to do with the vapor barrier, regardless of whether it is attached or not. But if it is not sealed what is the purpose of using it anyway?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks