Water level in an air over hydro tank

Users who are viewing this thread

SilverFox52

Reaction score
Very possible you could lose the pump down the well. Holes in the pipe are usually right where the pipe screws onto the check valve at the pump. Hopefully the hole will enlarge enough that you stop getting water to the top of the well before the pump just falls off. But if it is a steel nipple, it is going to be very thin and may break at any time.

The AVC can go where the pressure gauge is, or it can go in the place where the pressure switch is. Gonna need the hole with the 1.5†threads. Most AVC’s have a ¼†tap on top so you can put the pressure switch, gauge, or both back in this spot, right on the AVC.
I've decided to call a pro, not because I need them to install an AVC or replace the check valve and schrader valve, but because of my concern about the possibility of a hole in the downpipe, and that's something I don't want to tackle. I'll finally know why my system was installed this way, whether bleeders are actually installed, actual well depth (supposedly 100'), static water depth, size and capacity of my pump, etc. I'll update after they inspect my system.

SilverFox52

Reaction score
Update: Pulled the old pump today, and it was the original pump installed when the house was built in 1971, it is an F.E.Meyers 3/4hp pump date coded 6/71. Confirmed my system has a single bleeder installed just below the pitless adapter which is 2.5' below ground level. There were no holes in the downpipe and his analysis of the excess air source was a bad check valve on the old pump. Even though there were no holes in the downpipe, he recommended replacing the lower 2 sections due to electrolysis. He used schedule 120 pvc specifically marked "for downpipe use" for the lower 2 sections and the serviceable galvanized for the rest. He also replaced the AC line (2-wire) with new 3-wire and installed a capacitor start box above ground vs one in the pump. While he was wrapping up the electrical, I removed the pressure gauge and tank adapter and installed an AVC and reinstalled the pressure gauge. We checked the pump switch contacts and they were in excellent condition so back in service.

Invoice for the new pump (Sta-Rite Signature 2000 3/4hp), 40' of 1" schedule 120, 88' of wire, Pentek capacitor starter & box, AVC, and labor came to just under $1254. While here, he also determined static water level, 42', and well depth, 96', neither of which I knew. Well was sanitized prior to capping off the casing too.

I'm certain my excess air issue is resolved and the AVC will address any potential system inbalance in the future.

Thanks for the help. :cool:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks