water level drop

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by johnfrwhipple, Dec 25, 2011.

1. eurob

eurob master tile and stone installer

:) Thanks , William. :)
  2. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

Vegas how is your shower working?

Did you do the testing with the grate off?
  3. johnfrwhipple

4. Jean-Claude JC Lussier

Jean-Claude JC Lussier New Member

Thanks!
  5. Jean-Claude JC Lussier

It is the schluter shower kit surrounded by a custom bench on 2 sides. The floor is using the schluter floor pan.
  6. Jean-Claude JC Lussier

The original water line was in in fact just 1/4" below the top of the curb. The water was about 5" deep.
  7. johnfrwhipple

I would run a bead of Kerdi Fix along the top of the curb. Or top the curb with a little Ardex 8+9. Either would act like a capillary break for the flood test.

If your using a tile profile for the curb top you could set that with Kerdi fix and that would be an awesome capillary break. If you are setting 3/8" tile I recommend a 1/2" or 5/8" Stainless steel profile. This will allow some setting material below and account for the grading of the curb.
  8. johnfrwhipple

Jean Claude - I hope my tips help you out. You do realize that Schluter has no specification for a capillary break. They require flood testing but offer up no insight for this capillary leaking.

I don't think Noble has a spec either.

Nor does Laticrete.

Yet all will suffer from the same fate unless you tackle the capillary beast. Thanks for liking my post. I'm sure Jim will respond and tell you my idea is crazy. Not allowed. That your warranty will be screwed or to double check on the John Bridge forum.

But those ya who's don't know either.

I had the pictures up before but deleted my Kerdi info....
  9. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Capillary action requires a pond of water. Once you put your tile on top and grout it, the amount of liquid water that gets underneath the tile is miniscule and over a membrane, if your slope is proper, that that does not flow down the drain on top of the tiled surface and soaks in will evaporate before it gets a chance to wick anywhere it could cause damage. But, if your slopes are incorrect, you could have an issue.