Water leaking on bottom of faucet when turned on

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by SadPanda86, Feb 17, 2013.

1. SadPanda86

SadPanda86 New Member

Hi, my mom recently bought a condo and I am trying to learn as I go along. Recently the bottom of my faucet starting leaking. It only happens when I turn the cold water on. Do anyone know what is causing this?

The red arrow is where the leak is coming over
    main leak.jpg Sink.jpg Bottom.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

there are at least 3 possibilities, but we would have to be there to sort them out, or see it was something else entirely. So are doctors and dentists, but if you needed one, you would go to them.
  3. SadPanda86

SadPanda86 New Member

What are the 3 possibilities?
  4. Hackneyplumbing

Hackneyplumbing Homeowner

Remove the cold handle of the faucet. Now put the handle back on and turn the cold water on. While the cold water is running into the lavatory lift the handle off of the stem and inspect for leaks.
    If you find leaks then repair them.
  5. SadPanda86

SadPanda86 New Member

So I replaced the faucet stem and seat but the problem persist. Does this mean that I need to replace the whole faucet?
  6. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The aerator may be leaking past the threads and back into the faucet body.

If you keep buying all of the component parts, you will have exceeded the value of the faucet.

edited to add- I see now that it only happens on the cold side. Aerator would leak regardless of hot or cold.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  7. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

Don't turn cold side on and it will not leak !
  8. SadPanda86

SadPanda86 New Member

sorry for the delay with update, so I have decided to get a new faucet. Do I need to get new water supply line or get I just switch the faucet?
  9. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The connection at your faucet looks like standard 1/2" IPS..... I say standard because it USED to be. Today, you will still find some faucets with that inlet, but MANY faucets have factory-attached flex lines, which are usually 3/8 on the end to the stop valve, in which case you will need an adapter.
  10. SadPanda86

SadPanda86 New Member