Water leaking into shower at bottom grout line of tiled wall

Users who are viewing this thread

McW

Reaction score
Does anyone think the the following theory might be right?
I found that the shower head pipe (at top) was not tight with the supply pipe located about an inch behind the tile (at top). I retaped it and threaded it tightly back together. Could it have caused dripping between the plastic sheeting and the cement backer board (all behind the tile), to the point where it seaps through into the shower at the bottom of the grout line of the tile wall, showing up on the shower floor? I built the shower 4 yrs ago, but have had renters in the house since then. Since they moved out 10 days ago, and no shower use since the, the shower floor continues to show steady moisture (maybe a few teaspoons each day). Anyone able to guess how long this will continue, assuming I stopped the source of the drip? I'm guessing I'm waiting for the backer board to drain.
The good news is there's no leaking showing up on the other side of the wall.
Thanks for anyone's input. I'm a first time blog poster.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are you seeing just damp grout or literally water seeping out?

A long-term leak could have a pool of liquid water behind the wall trapped by the vapor barrier and the shower pan liner (what method did you use for waterproofing the shower - this can make a difference).

Is it damp only at the perimeter of the walls? All around, or only on the shower head wall? Or, is it damp in more areas on the floor, especially near the drain?

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
go ahead and verify your theory by opening the wall behind said leak.

Drywall or plaster repair a small price vs the damage that could be happening.

the only way to sleep well is to know for sure.

McW

Reaction score
Are you seeing just damp grout or literally water seeping out?

A long-term leak could have a pool of liquid water behind the wall trapped by the vapor barrier and the shower pan liner (what method did you use for waterproofing the shower - this can make a difference).

Is it damp only at the perimeter of the walls? All around, or only on the shower head wall? Or, is it damp in more areas on the floor, especially near the drain?

go ahead and verify your theory by opening the wall behind said leak.

Drywall or plaster repair a small price vs the damage that could be happening.

the only way to sleep well is to know for sure.

Many thanks to both of you for the quick feedback.
Here are the answers to Jim's questions:
- the method for the shower pan included a thick rubbery mat (sorry that I've forgotten the terms) on top of the concave pan I formed from mortar. I can imagine the water trapped between the vapor barrier and the rubbery mat.
- the only area at the wall that is seeping (less today) is at the shower head wall.
- I did note yesterday an increase in seeping when I scrapped out the caulk.
- no initial moisture at the drain, I think it only appears there after traveling the approximately 12 inches.
- I'll track it for about 3 more days, max before tearing out the drywall on the opposite side of the wall.

Thanks!

McW

Reaction score
Many thanks to both of you for the quick feedback.
Here are the answers to Jim's questions:
- the method for the shower pan included a thick rubbery mat (sorry that I've forgotten the terms) on top of the concave pan I formed from mortar. I can imagine the water trapped between the vapor barrier and the rubbery mat.
- the only area at the wall that is seeping (less today) is at the shower head wall.
- I did note yesterday an increase in seeping when I scrapped out the caulk.
- no initial moisture at the drain, I think it only appears there after traveling the approximately 12 inches.
- I'll track it for about 3 more days, max before tearing out the drywall on the opposite side of the wall.

Thanks!

My apologies on the description of the mortar bed, the following link is a good example of what I followed:

https://www.google.com/search?redir...vbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D5434;425;334

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
If your shower had not leaked in its first four years and then you adjusted the head and the leak appeared the answer is already obvious.

All you have to do is cut a few holes in the drywall and get right to the bottom of it.

cut hole behind shower head and turn it on . The leak should appear.

then cut a hole down behind the pan and investigate damages occurred.

Put a de-humidifier in their and use fans and heat guns to dry/air it out.

I have a hard time believing its been leaking for years and you now just noticed it..

furthermore you can cut hole in cieling down below pan and inspect for water damage.

I know that all is hard to swallow but drywall plaster repair is a small cost.

very very simple.

Why wait and ponder things? your home and shower are at stake NO?

best of luck.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you cut the drywall carefully, you can use the same piece as your patch. If you can't cut it so you can reattach it to the studs, or don't want to make that hole that big, screw some cleats the back side of the hole and then screw the original piece back on the wall. Yes, it means taping and filling the joints and maybe repainting, but it isn't a horrible job and can be made invisible. But, if this is in a closet, or someplace you aren't as fussy, you could just buy a snap in inspection cover for the hole. If you decide to go that route, measure carefully so the plate will fit properly. A sharp knife or drywall saw work, something like a RotoZip may be faster, but a LOT dustier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks