water leaking from the top of gas water heater.

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by timbogolf, Jul 30, 2014.

1. timbogolf

timbogolf New Member

I am having issues with water coming up through the orifices on top of my gas water heater. I am not sure what is going on. I can see water coming up from around the center flume, and around the relief valve. When I push down on the top of the heater lid water is coming up. What is the cause of this problem. MY exhaust vent (power vent) tends to suck up water into it, and on occasion, goes back down into the water heater, causing it to go out I am assuming. It is an "on demand fire" no pilot light. only lights when it demands water. Does anybody have any idea why I am getting water on top of water heater. Is there anything I can do at home without spending a bunch of money to fix it. (I'm guessing not) It's only 8 yrs old. (Rheem, I believe)
  2. SHR

SHR Member

Unfortunately an 8 year-old power vent water heater is a couple of years past it's expected life span. Your tank has rusted through and needs to be replaced.
  3. timbogolf

timbogolf New Member

That is not what I wanted to hear. Ugh. thank you though.
  4. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

I suggest inspecting your anode from the dead water heater. If it is eaten up, or if it has been removed, give some thoughts about how you will handle your new water heater.

I expect 20 years and more from a classic gas water heater. If the power vent ones are less reliable, I guess that would be useful information.
  5. SHR

SHR Member

My experience is 6 years on average for a power vent. The physics of how they operate lead to short life spans. I have not seen a power vent water heater with longer than a 6 year warranty on the tank. The manufacturers realize they do not last as long as most standard water heaters.
  6. timbogolf

timbogolf New Member

after doing some more inspecting on the unit. Which I will do some more this weekend. not totally convinced that it has rusted through the tank. 1.) it is leaking up from the top. the T&P relief valve is on top of the unit and that is where I am finding the leak most. 2.) If the tank was rusted out, wouldn't it be leaking from the bottom? I have been soaking water up from around where the valve is threaded into the top of the water heater, to where it is almost dry, and it may seem to be seeping water from around the threads. As I can see water collecting around it after I dab it dry. Not for certain by any means. but may be a good place to look. The floor is dry under the unit so I may turn the unit off this weekend and try to pull the top metal sheeting lid off and look under it to see if the water lines and or T&P valve port are not leaking and dry out the top piece of insulation. so I am still searching and trouble shooting! thanks for all the info and feed back .
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The insulation around the tank will force water to the first easiest location to leak out, regardless of where it is.
  8. SHR

SHR Member

You ask the question, get the answer and disagree. OK...good luck you are on your own.