Water leaking from my water heater!

Users who are viewing this thread

Govno81

Reaction score
I kept having a puddle around my water heater, so someone at work suggested I try replacing the pressure relief valve. (I never actually saw any water leaking from anywhere but there would always be a puddle whenever I checked.)

I replaced the PRV and the leaking stopped or so I thought. All was good for 3 days, then on day 4 I had about a half dollar size puddle directly underneath the extension pipe, so I knew the water had come from the PRV.

I wiped it up and all was good for about 3 more days, then BAM! I had the same old puddle around my water heater! I looked up the valve and read the reviews and saw that some other people had problems with that one, so I went to a different store and bought another one and replaced it.

Two days later, same big puddle around my water heater!!!!

Now what? Is it another bad valve? Or is there something else wrong?

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Its a good chance that your pressure tank has failed.

Get a pressure gauge that remembers the highest pressure. That can be a good diagnostic.

Even before that, you can turn off the water to the house, and open a faucet to relieve pressure. At that point, the pressure tank should be empty. Rap on it it see if it sounds empty. If not empty, it is bad. Get a new one.

The air pre-charge pressure should be equal to the pressure that your PRV is set for. That pressure should be set while there is no water pressure.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will need to check the pressure in the home. You can pick up a pressure gage in the irrigation department of any hardware store.
Anything over 80 PSI needs a PRV, pressure reducing valve.

As the water heater gets hotter, the pressure may go up.
For systems that are closed, we install expansion tanks.
But first, check the house pressure.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just a note on Terry's comment. He mentioned a "closed system". This occurs when you have a check valve in the water supply line. This will prevent the expanded water from being absorbed in the city water main and will result in the T/P valve tripping to release a small amount of water to prevent the tank from exploding. Many, but not all, PRVs have this check valve build in. You will need to verify whether your PRV has this feature. If your PRV has this check valve, then you need a thermal expansion tank. The symptoms you describe are exactly what I had several years ago. The thermal expansion tank ended the problem.

Govno81

Reaction score
There already is an expansion tank installed...

So is there a problem with my water heater? Or is there a problem with the expansion tank?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you are using the correct terms, what you are saying does not make sense to me. It is hard for us to diagnose the problem without being there and or seeing what is happening and especially if you use the incorrect terms. I think you are confused with the correct terms or maybe I’m confused.

(1) A PRV or Pressure reducing valve; it is used to lower the pressure of incoming water.
http://www.lowersauconauthority.org/prv.htm

(2) A pressure relief valve; it is used sometimes instead of a thermal expansion tank. A system with an expansion tank does not leak water but a pressure relief valve leaks out a little water each time the water is heated.
http://www.hardwareworld.com/Pressure-Relief-Valve-75-PSI-pGJXH5A.aspx

(3) T & P Relief Valve or temperature and pressure relief valve; it attaches directly to the hot water heater. If the water heater gets too hot or builds up too much pressure it will release water.
http://waterheaterreviews.com/what-is-a-tp-valve

Last edited:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
The expansion tank has bladder that hold air pressure if goes bad then the tank is not doing it`s job.

And do all of the above.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Tap your expansion tank and note the sound it makes. If it has a dull thud, the bladder has failed and the tank is full of water. Must be replaced. Be careful when removing it as it will be much heavier than when it was new and empty.

Govno81

Reaction score
If you are using the correct terms, what you are saying does not make sense to me. It is hard for us to diagnose the problem without being there and or seeing what is happening and especially if you use the incorrect terms. I think you are confused with the correct terms or maybe I’m confused.

(1) A PRV or Pressure reducing valve; it is used to lower the pressure of incoming water.
http://www.lowersauconauthority.org/prv.htm

(2) A pressure relief valve; it is used sometimes instead of a thermal expansion tank. A system with an expansion tank does not leak water but a pressure relief valve leaks out a little water each time the water is heated.
http://www.hardwareworld.com/Pressure-Relief-Valve-75-PSI-pGJXH5A.aspx

(3) T & P Relief Valve or temperature and pressure relief valve; it attaches directly to the hot water heater. If the water heater gets too hot or builds up too much pressure it will release water.
http://waterheaterreviews.com/what-is-a-tp-valve

Sorry, I didn't know I was using incorrect terms. I am speaking of a T & P Relief Valve.... Does this help?

Govno81

Reaction score
Tap your expansion tank and note the sound it makes. If it has a dull thud, the bladder has failed and the tank is full of water. Must be replaced. Be careful when removing it as it will be much heavier than when it was new and empty.

Looks like it might be the expansion tank then. Is pretty easy to replace? (turn water off, unscrew old one, screw on new one, turn water on)

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Yes and if you have a PRV the water heater should have an expansion tank and that is what keeps thermal expansion equal to the in coming water pressure to keep the T&P from leaking.
This is called a closed system when a water heater heats up water exspands and the pressure needs some place to go (ie T&P,expansion tank).
I hope the helps.
You also need to check the pressure,as noted above.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, it really is that easy. One more note however. The air pressure in the expansion tank should be the same as your PRV is set to. An ordinary tire gauge will test the tank, I think they are usually set at 45 psi, but test it to be sure. Obviously, you need a pressure gauge to test and set the PRV.

Govno81

Reaction score
Okay, I replaced the expansion tank...This seems to have fixed my problem!!! Thanks all

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks