water leak in line from wall to connect to fridge

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by dixie, Sep 6, 2011.

1. dixie

dixie New Member

The water line that goes from the wall to connect to the fridge has a leak. I turned the valve off but I need to fix it. Is it something i can do myself with very little knowledge of plumbing?
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

You don't mention what kind of line it is, but the most common are plastic or copper. I would replace the leaky line with one that has a braided steel covering. These are similar to those used for connecting toilets and sinks. They are quite durable and will flex without kinking. Copper is good in many ways, but do tend to kink and develop leaks around the connection to the valve and/or fridge when you pull the fridge out for cleaning.
  3. wushaw

wushaw Texas Master Plumber

Gary is dead on right, and if you go buy one at the local hardware store it is usally about six foot long and has 1/4" compression nuts on each end and will actually say ice maker supply on the package.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; Copper is good in many ways, but do tend to kink and develop leaks around the connection to the valve and/or fridge when you pull the fridge out for cleaning.

That does NOT have to happen. You can leave a "Slinky" type coil of copper and then it stretches and compresses as you move the reefer.