Water keeps flowing through hot water pipe despite shutting off water supply valve

Users who are viewing this thread

boonetrace

Reaction score
I have recently replaced a kitchen sink faucet, and it works. However, 3 days ago suddenly the flow of the hot water through the faucet decreased by about 50%. I tried to shut off the multi-turn angle valve, but the water kept coming through the faucet. Therefore I thought that this angle valve must be faulty (since it no longer works, does not shut off the flow). So today I went to Home Depot and got a new one (multi turn angle valve). I was hoping to install it myself, but I I turned off the main water valve, it shut off the cold water, but when I tried to remove the connecting tube between that particular valve and the hot water inlet of the faucet, the water kept coming out with plenty of force. The only thing I can think about is, that the water in the water heater tank was draining through that valve. Am I right in thinking that? I saw no shut off valve for the water heater's hot water outlet. So I am afraid that I will need to get an expert (plumber). However, I would be grateful if you could advise me whether that it really the issue, and is there a way off shutting off the water coming through that valve, so that I could replace it? Thanking you for your help and advice.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have a recirc on the water heater it can complicate things.

Sometimes you may need to shut of the entire water supply when replacing shutoffs. Open all the faucets to let things drain down before you attempt to remove a shutoff.

boonetrace

Reaction score
Dear Terry,
Many thanks for your very fast reply. The only two main shut off valves I know about is: 1) outside of my house, 2) inside the house as the main water pipe enters the house. This latter one I closed, but to no avail. I am attaching a picture of the valve, although really the problem is how to shout off the hot water coming through this, so that I could replace it. I guess if it is complicated, then I just have to have an expert to come out. valve.jpg

boonetrace

Reaction score
Yes, but the problem is that when I tried to remove the black 3/8" flexible pipe (sorry if I am not using the correct terminology), water was gushing out, despite the fact that I shut off the main valve in the garage. That black pipe/hose is the one which carries the hot water into the faucet. I would need to somehow shut off the hot water coming TOWARDS that angle valve's 1/2" inlet, so that I could remove the valve itself. Sorry if I was not clear in my first message. I really appreciate your prompt replies.

boonetrace

Reaction score
Yesterday I looked at the water heater, and it seems (please see attached photo), that the hot water comes out of the tube which does NOT have a shut of valve (only the cold water inlet has, that blue lever thing). Because of this it seems to me that essentially I would need to shut off the cold water flow to the heater, and then let the hot water fully drain from the heater tank, and only then I can change the valve under the kitchen sink. I just do not know whether draining the entire tank is necessary, would it possibly damage the tank if there is no water left in there, or by shutting off the cold water supply to the tank, and then opening all the hot water faucets would be enough to drain what hot water is left in the pipe system (and only in the pipe system, not from the tank itself). Thank you.water heater.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
If the water heater is on the same floor, or above, as the kitchen sink, you will want to drain the hot water heater. Use a garden hose to move the water to a drain.

The water heater will not suffer harm. Many people suggest draining the water heater annually to remove debris.

boonetrace

Reaction score
Thank you. I will work on it tomorrow. Appreciate the input from both Terry and Reach4!

DaveHo

Reaction score
Make sure your set the water heater thermo to pilot. You don't want it to fire when it's half full of water or the valve to it is closed.

boonetrace

Reaction score
This evening I followed all of your advice and successfully drained the water from the system. I thought everything would be easy from then on, but to my frustration I could not remove that old shut off valve (the angle valve), even though I was trying everything, with all kinds of tools. Finally I gave up (the whole assembly was just rotating around, but could not unscrew the valve), put the hot water hose back, and decided to call a plumber. Well, I tried, but the valve beat me. Anyway, thank you again for all of your advice.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You need to hold the nut in place and turn the valve body off. You will not be able to remove the nut from the pipe without a special puller-- that is why Terry suggested leaving the nut on there and reusing it on the new valve.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are many ways to create a cross connection in a plumbing system, but we cannot diagnose it from here. To solve your immediate problem, turn off the water to the house. Once you have changed the valve, then yuo can all a plumber to address the more pressing problem, which is to find and cure the cross over. A valve on the hot water, at the tank, would do NOTHING to prevent it, it would just make replacing the water heater easier if you do not correct the problem.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you're asking how to remove a compression angle stop. The answer: work with two good size wrenches, one to hold the angle stop body and the other to rotate the nut counterclockwise. Get a good grip, it has to work.

Another option is to cut off the two angle stops you have there as the riser comes up at the bottom of the cabinet, and to install a new 3-way angle stop instead.

boonetrace

Reaction score
Thank you cacher_chick, hj, and dj2. I have already asked a friend who is a plumber to come around and replace the valve. It seems that I do not have the right tools - I spent a lot of time 2 days ago with what I had, but could not a good grip on the valve. In fact, I damaged the thread on the valve (onto which the water hose goes into). Thankfully I was able to put that back on. I quess I could get some tools (wrench) and try it again.... Thank you again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks