Water just warm, not hot

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by higgledy, Oct 29, 2012.

1. higgledy

higgledy Member

Thanks. My wife does not think my plumber is good either. In the past, I've hired him to remodel a bathroom. His work is neat and I've had no problems with shady workmanship, etc. I guess he needs to beef-up his diagnostic skills. The other thing is that it is difficult to find a good plumber, especially when you really need a plumber. I assume a plumber is more likely to get to your house that day if you have history with that plumber. Is that illogical thinking?

BTW, the plumber replaced the 3800 Watt element with 4500 Watt element, it was a high watt density, but he did not know that we had hard water. He told me that water heaters he services on the other side of my county he always uses low watt density elements because that side of the county is know for hard water. I never knew my water is hard either till this experience. Now, I know.

I've learned in life that a good plumber, a good electrician, and a good lawyer are all worth the money they charge. Thanks for the advice.

Phil
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If there is a "high watt density" for the upper element and a "low watt density" for the bottom, you will be OKAY. But, if the bottom one is HWD, then keep your old elements because you will need them.
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; Even the pro's sometimes get it wrong on the first try. Hopefully they go good for it.

I am glad you said "sometimes" because it should be a very rare occurance for a "good plumber", and usually happens when they have multiple problems and one of them is "masking" some of the others.