Water Just Stopped

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by Budley, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Budley

Budley New Member

All of a sudden my entire sprinkler system stopped. I have 7 zones. The sprinkler box with the timer and settings is still operational. (It keeps the proper time.) I am completely at a loss why this would just stop working. Any ideas? I live in FL and just within a few days my lawn is turning brown.
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

My first thought is that the common ground wire has come loose or broken. The would mean none of the valves would open. The timer would still operate, and you would not lose the settings. I start checking at the timer. Make sure the connection is tight.
  3. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

You can check out Gary's theory by manually opening your zone valves and see if the sprinkler heads pop up. If not, the problem may be a faulty backflow preventer/vacuum breaker. Of course, someone may have unwittingly shut off the water supply to your irrigation system.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  4. Rancher

Rancher Guest

Check the fuse in the control box, most of them use the battery to run the timer and fuse the output to the valves.

Rancher
  5. Budley

Budley New Member

Well, I checked the fuse, it's OK. The Sprinkler box runs on electricity, it still has power. Ground wire seems to be intact. I cannot find any other parts of this system. I found 3 boxes in the ground and they all have wiring in them. All wires are still connected. Shouldn't there be a pump or a meter or something else somewhere on my property?
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots Sprinkler Guy

Find the seven valves, and try to manually operate them. That will help the lawn, while you work on the problem.
  7. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

There's only a pump if you are drawing water from a well. Otherwise, you are just using your city water at whatever water pressure you've got. The meter is the same meter for all your household water use.

As I've said before and wetboots just repeated, you can go to those boxes in the ground and manually turn them on.

If you still don't get any water out of them, you need to work backward to find out where the water is shut off.