Water? in the bottom of furnace/AC cabinet

Users who are viewing this thread

tregg

Reaction score
I went to change the air filter and noticed an inch of water standing in the bottom just below the squirrel cage fan. I don't see any drain hose at that level so I take it somethin ain't right. I wonder where's it coming from and what to do about it. I guess I'll drill a hole in the side at the bottom but should I call somebody? The air's been running a lot lately with all the heat.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The condensate drain is likely clogged, and instead of running out the drain, is backing up into the cabinet. You need to clean the drain which starts in the tray underneath the evaporator coil (it could be clogged anywhere in that pipe). One time I had a similar situation, and found a woody fungus that clogged it all up, but it's often dust and mold.

Reaction score
In a rental I lived in for a long time we had regular problems with pink algae clogging the condensate drain. I used bleach once a month to suppress it until the drain finally clogged solid. The problem at that point was the cast iron standpipe was solid packed (iron scale takes up over 7 times the volume of the original iron if I remember correctly.) Once it was augured out and a large bore PVC pipe inserted I never had to mess with it again (no bleach either.) A few years later I had to clear all of the iron pipes going though the slab and the run to the street main as well. Actually cleared the latter twice as a parachutist went MIA down the commode...ah the joys of pre-schoolers. Didn't have to tie a yellow ribbon on the magnolia, because we recovered the poor wayward soul out in the yard.

Another possibility is that the evaporator is icing up internally and blocking the drain.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yearly maintainence needs to be done on AC units and clearing the pan drains is part of that along with cleaning the condensor coils

tregg

Reaction score
I think I got it-the installers left no clean out access so I had to drill thru the pvc and when I ran a snake all the goodies came out. thx for the advice

TheycallMeDave

Reaction score
The a/c system is likely low on freon which causes the evaporator above the furnace to freeze the condensate on it until it overflows the evaporator condensate pan and starts to drip down the center of the furnace winding up on the floor underneath the blower. Have the a/c system serviced and before the Service Tech comes out, shut off the system so the ice buildup on the evaporator can thaw .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks