Water in P Trap - Adequate Siphoning Test

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by chefwong, Aug 7, 2006.

1. chefwong

chefwong New Member

4 weeks till the cabinets arrive for the kitchen.
    I have a suspectiable issue with my vent .....

From the stub, can I install and P trap and pour water into it.
    If by week 3, no water disappears and everyone in the house is still using the rest of the houses *plumbing system* is it safe to say that I don't have siphoning issues with my layout ?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

In three weeks, depending on conditions, it could evaporate...not necessarily a good test. Now, if it gets sucked dry in the first week or so - you've probably got a problem. This will do nothing to tell you about other traps that might have a problem when water runs down that trap.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

trap

Not necessarily, even if it does not evaporate. Most siphoning issues are caused by the sink itself when it drains, and to test that you would have to have the sink connected and be using it.