Water in bottom of new dishwasher

Users who are viewing this thread

DomEasley

Reaction score
Hello,
Two weeks ago I had my garbage disposal replaced. Then week after that I noticed water accumulating at bottom of dish washer. Since dishwasher was old I decided it was time to replace it and hopefully resolve water issue. Not so much. With new dishwasher and new garbage disposal I am still getting water in bottom of dishwasher. Since everything is pretty much new (including drainage line from dishwasher to garbage disposal) the only thing I can think of is maybe the drain trap is clogged up. Any suggestions on trouble shooting?

thanks in advance
Dom

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a photo showing the garbage disposal, the trap, and the hose from the dishwasher to the disposal.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sounds like you may not have a high loop on the waste line from the DW. Ideally, you'd have an air gap (which is required in some places, and a good idea everywhere). As indicated, a picture may help diagnose this verses guesses.

DomEasley

Reaction score
ok here are two pics. Pic one is drainage line coming in from dishwasher to garbage disposal. Pic 2 is trap coming off garbage disposal to drain pipe.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 234
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 238

Reach4

Reaction score
See if you can hang or prop the middle of he dishwasher drain line high to the underside of the counter. I hope that makes a difference for you.

DomEasley

Reaction score
I am wondering if the garbage disposal installer forgot to remove knock out plug when installing new disposal. This video seems to be my exact problem:

Last edited:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I am wondering if the garbage disposal installer forgot to remove knock out plug when installing new disposal. This video seems to be my exact problem:
Only one way to find out, turn the dishwasher on listen for the discharge in the sink drain.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
the only thing I can think of is maybe the drain trap is clogged up.

It could be that. That is Exactly why I do not have a disposal.

It would be best to pull the dishwasher out, and make sure the hose is as high as you can get it, before it goes in the hole. It may have fell down.

Good Luck.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When running, the disposal acts like a pump. If it's easier to pump waste to your DW, it will go there verses the drain, not very sanitary! This is why in some code enforcement areas, they require an air gap. A high loop can work, but it is not failsafe like an air gap.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I sold a lot of disposals at Sears and the number one problem from phone calls were no discharge or the hose on the disposal blew off. Yep, the plug was never knocked out.

DomEasley

Reaction score
Problem Solved. The knock out plug was never removed by installer. What I found worked best was to use flat head screw driver and hit the plug on the edge and not in middle. Once you have punched out side of plug I simply reached down in sink and peeling plug off. This small but big mistake by installer was moderate inconvience for us as we had to hand wash and dry the dishes for 3 weeks and it caused me to buy new dishwasher (which is common reaction to problem). Fortunately the landlord will absorb the cost but I am surprised that removal of plug isn't the very first thing an installer would do.

DonL

Reaction score
I to left the plug in once. Plumbers should fill the unit and and drain it before they go. Takes only 5 more minutes

I do not think they should be allowed to install them.

They pollute to the Max.

Especially when your finger gets cut off. :eek:

DonL

Reaction score
Meant fill and drain dw

They need to get on to the next call, so numbers $$ look good.

Been there done that. And do not miss it.

Kind of strange that the problem took a month to discover. That tells you how much you "NEED" it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks