Water heaters in series

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by Jbel, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Jbel

Jbel New Member

I'm thinking about installing a second water heater in series with my existing tank. Could someone tell me where the expansion tank should be located, or if I even need one? I have one 40gal electric heater and want to add another 40 gal.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  2. JerryR

JerryR Member

Expansion tank can be installed anywhere in the house, on a cold water line. The majority are installed at or near the hot water heater cold water inlet side.

If you have a closed system heater manufactures and or code requires on. A closed system is where you have either a check valve, PRV or a backflow device installed.
  3. Jbel

Jbel New Member

My home is an old farm house. I just purchased it. It has well water as a source. So far I have a sediment filter before the expansion tank which then goes into my Hague purification and softening system then out to the house. I've switched most of the home over to pex. Will the original pressure tank for the system suffice?
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If there are no check valves between the water heater and the expansion tank, you would be fine.
  5. DavidTu

DavidTu Member

Does the PRV in fact count as a check valve? (Honeywell, if it matters)
  6. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

It would be unusual to have a PRV with a well, unless you were feeding multiple buildings. But if you did, then yes. But then you have a design that should be reviewed.