Water Heaters - Dodge, Chevy, Ford

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
I've been reading older threads and the consensus seems to be that they all fail - it all boils down to when. It can fail in year 2 or year 8.

With that said, it boils down to whether you are a ~dodge, chevy, or ford ~ person

I've looked at the majority of natural gas atmospheric venting 75 Gallons on the market.
Everyone seems to have a good or bad experience with all the brands.

With that said, the Bradford and Rheem seem to be at similar pricepoints . Rheem if I go with their commercial model - G75-75N-2. Bradford is M-I-75S6BN.

Otherwise, it's just the HD Rheem unit or a Kenmore 75 AO.

Should I just flip a coin and pick the least expensive one *with* the longest warranty on tank.
If that's the case, that would be the Sears Kenmore at $800 with a 12 year warranty on the tank.

Otherise, I'll spend the extra $100 for the Brandford, which only has a 6 year warranty on the tank.
I know you guys rave the Bradfords, but is it worth the extra spend , taking into account it cost more and only has HALF the warranty tank coverage.

Thoughts. Some wise old sage advice ?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The Bradford is NOT a commercial model, it is a residential heater with a 6 year warranty. For another $150.00, or so, you can change it to a 10 year model, by attaching a different specification label to it. The warranty has absolutely NOT HING to do with how long the heater will last. If just determines how long the company will replace it if it fails, and even then there are usually "fees" attached to the replacement, plus the new heater ONLY has a warranty for the remaining portion of the old one's time period.

Chefwong

Reaction score
HJ -

I was clear the Bradford was not a commercial unit.
I don't think ANY of the extended warrantys by putting a extra anode, etc (from the manuf kit) is applicable if it was ~self installed~ and not by a authorized dealer of X brand. At least that was my confirmation from Rheem when I talked about their HD 75 gallon. and me installing the extra anode kit

The fees are only if parts need to be replaced and then installed by a plumber right ?
For a straight tank replacement (which is the only part of the warranty I consider worth) we are talking about, is there a fee from the manuf in your experiences. I would only want delivery and haul away....no one to reinstall/deinstall

Last edited:

Chefwong

Reaction score
Final Call .
Pricewise, it's all the same to me....
I keep on hemming and hawing at this.

It's between the Bradford is M-I-75S6BN and the Rheem ~HD~ 75 Natural Atmospheric Vent.

For the record, in the vacay, we have a *AO* Powermiser 12 and sofar, she's still doing okay on year 9.
Pilot/Thermocouple was replaced 1X

Points for the Rheem is
Easy Warranty Swap should I need as per Rheem Customer Service, they say just bring the tank back to HD.

Bradford is generally a contractor item so I don't know how much or how little I will be paying during the ~warranty~ period for either in warranty parts and labor on it.

Any other details I'm missing out when I'm comparing the 2....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Bradford White just sends you a new label when you buy the 10 year option. NO changes to the tank at all. When it arrives you slap it on tank over the old one and VOILA, you have a 10 year heater. Many distributors charge a "service fee" for processing a replacement heater, and it is whatever they want to charge. You would have to bring it to them, pick up the new one, and install it. If a plumber were doing this, it often is not worth doing the exchange since you essentially end up with a heater with basically NO warranty, especially if it fails just before the original warranty expires. HDs new policy is that YOU pay the difference between what you paid and what the new one costs.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
One other thing. Depending on the model Ford, Chevy, Dodge, you buy it may ACTUALLY be Honda, Mazda, or some other brand with different body work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks