Water heater

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by shluffer, Nov 30, 2008.

1. shluffer

shluffer New Member

My gas water heater is going, or at least that is what I assume the pool of water under it indicates. any suggestions as to what brand / type I should replace it with? I plan to stay in the house for three to five years, so I'm not sure if tankless would pay off.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The consensus here seems to be Bradford-White or Rheam (sp?).
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Is the water coming from the T&P Valve or, the tank itself.
    It makes a big difference as to wether or, not the water heater needs replacing.

If it does need replacing I would reccommend a Bradford-White or, Rheem/Ruud as a replacement.

Under no circumstances would I purchase a gas water heater from Lowes they sell Whirlpool which are absolutely without any doubt the worst of the worst. In their latest move to decieve their customers as the word about Whirlpool is spreading they are selling other brands of American Water Heater Company products in their stores. Don't let them fool you! It's the same junk with a different sticker on it!
  4. shluffer

shluffer New Member

How do I check if its coming from the T&P Valve or, the tank? Is it as easy as looking at the bottom with a flash light?
  5. rmelo99

rmelo99 Network Engineer

Cleanup or dry the water that is pooled under it. Then I would put a bucket under the pipe for the pressure relief valve.

Then if you will know if the water is coming from the valve or elsewhere. Water in the bucket means it's the valve, water outside the bucket means another source of the leak (ie: broken tank)
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

The T&P valve is the valve with the lever on it that comes out of the top of the tank or, the upper side of the tank.

[​IMG]

See if water is coming out of it.
    Sometimes these may activate only while the water heater is running.
    Post back if this is where the water is coming from.
  7. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

The T/P valve is supposed to be piped downward along the side of the tank to within 6" of the floor. Put a pan or cup under the end of the pipe and see if water collects there. If water does collect in the pan, then the cause is either a bad T/P valve or a pressure regulator valve on the supply line that has no expansion tank or a tank that has failed.