Water heater = too hot...

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim88

Reaction score
Hi,

Any help would be great...thanks

I have an indirect fire Weil Mclain water heater that is putting out crazy hot water. I have the temp dial on cold and still is crazy hot. If I put the temp dial on the coldest setting it will stop calling for heat.

The temp wires on top are connected to a Taco SR501 relay and then connected to a Taco 007F4 pump.

The relay has 2 lights green for pwr and red for when it calls for heat....this red light is on all the time...the only way to get it to turn off is to pull the temp wires from the top of the water heater or turn it all the way down.

Ill have to see tomorrow when the tank gets colder if the lowest setting will make the relay call for heat?? ----> tank was cold in the morning......

The boiler gauge read about 12 psi and 160 degrees sometimes I see it at 180.

Any ideas.....If so.....can a guy with basic plumbing skills fix this..I have replaced one of the relays on one of the zones before....fyi

Thanks,
Jim

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In many indirect WH, the temperature probe sits in a well. IF that probe is not properly seated in the well, it will be colder than the water in the tank, making the boiler come on and trying to bring it up to temperature. It could easily be that, or that the temperature sensor is bad, or a wire is broken, or the control board in the boiler is not reading it correctly. First, I'd check the sensor - make sure it is pushed as far as possible into the well (many use a spring clip to hold it in place), then, follow the leads back to the boiler and make sure they are not broken somewhere. It is possible to test that sensor with the right tools - essentially, you need an ohmmeter and an accurate thermometer to check the resistance of it at a known temperature. Too many things to say without being there, but this may help.

But, almost all installations should have a tempering valve on the output of the indirect to limit the outlet temperature to a safe value. Those don't last forever, and it may be working as it was designed, but the tempering valve has failed allowing hotter water than it should into your pipes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks