Water Heater Timer ??

Users who are viewing this thread

duddley63

Reaction score
Has anyone tried putting a timer on their hot water heater . Why heat water 24/7 when there is a lot of time when you really could cut back on electricty. Some people will say that you don't save anything , but is there anyone who has tried this and if so does it work ? .

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
Depending on the age of your water heater you may save a bit.

If your water heater is only a few years old and/or has the foam insulation rather than just soft fiberglass then it is doubtful you will save enough to pay for the timer.

You do not heat the water 24/7 but only when the water temperature drops below the thermostat "ON" point. Modern electric water heaters have such a low rate of standby loss that if you do not use any hot water the heater will probably not be energized for at least a day and maybe as long as several days depending on the ambient temperature of the area where the water heater is located.

duddley63

Reaction score
Thank You. I have always thought of doing this but not much point because i have a new heater and probably is energy efficient.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Humorous note.
Standby heat loss amounts to pennies per day...what amount of energy would the timer itself consume?

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Humorous note.
Standby heat loss amounts to pennies per day...what amount of energy would the timer itself consume?
Pennies a year? I always love it when someone unplugs a sprinkler controller that uses very-low-power CMOS circuitry, and loses the programming after the backup battery gives out. Even if the programming stays, the battery replacement costs dozens of times the price of the electricity saved.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks