Water Heater Strapping Conundrum

Users who are viewing this thread

OrthoRN

Reaction score
I am preparing to strap a water heater in a condo that I have for sale, but have challenges with the code vs. the size of the water heater. The water heater is a short model and is under a set of stairs. I understand code is that it needs to be strapped in the top third and bottom third of the heater and to have the strap at least 4"above the controls. Problem with the short heater is that I don't think I can have the strap 4" above the controls (under bottom panel), if I did, it wouldn't be within the bottom third and it would possibly infringe on the panel above (not sure what's under there, I've never removed it, I'm assuming something important). I also understand I can't just have one strap. How do you solve this problem? Sorry the photo isn't that great, wasn't expecting to use it for this purpose and I don't live at the property. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2048.JPG
    IMG_2048.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 241

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you can only do what you can only do... that water heater is at least 15 years old looking at the
style of it... I doubt that anyone would care either way ... just install one strap as best possible
if you feel that you absolutly must do this and keep your mouth shut about it....
Only some dumb inspector would actually make
an issue about something this petty......

OrthoRN

Reaction score
Thanks for your input! The place has already been inspected and the buyer requested the water heater be strapped....so it does have to be done. I'm almost wondering if I should have had the plumber do it when I had him out doing something else. Didn't realize strapping a water heater would be so complex. The buyer's inspector was weird. I feel like he missed a bunch of stuff that I thought would come up and pointed out things like a light switch plate that was missing screws.....really.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do one strap above the top hump and a strap in the middle. This WH will be going nowhere, and you can close escrow.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; pointed out things like a light switch plate that was missing screws.....really.

Must have been the same inspector who checked my place. He also complained that my induction range was not working because it beeped and kept turning itself off, (it did that because it knew he did not have a pan on the burner).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks