Water Heater Size

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by vman, Jun 12, 2009.

1. vman

vman New Member

I'm having a laundry area built out for my 3 fam. I was going to have 1 washer/dryer. I was thinking of 10 gallon electric water heater. Now I'm wondering whether that is the correct size. I haven't finalized on the the washer (make/model). But I do know it's going to be top loaded. So if you could just use the standard size for a top loaded washer for this argument, what do you think the water heater size should be?
  2. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

"Front-loading washers use 40-75% less water and 30-85% less energy than typical top-loaders (10 to 24 gallons vs. up to 40 gallons, and 120-560 kWh/yr. vsi. 800 kWh/yr.)."
    but I don't know how much of the 40 gals. needs to be hot water.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

A couple of thoughts. First, 10 gallons is not very much hot water, and I doubt if the cost for it would be that much less than say a 40 gallon tank. Since newer laundry detergents are intended for cold water washing, a large quantity of hot water is not as important as it used to be. I see no advantage in having a separate heater for laundry.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

heater

A 10 gallon tank could cost more than a 40 gallon one, and it will be 120 v. with 1,800 watt elements MAXIMUM, more likely 1,200 or 1,500, so the recovery is going to be abysmal. The only salvation would be that very few people even use hot water for washing these days, so it might not even be needed.
  5. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

10 gals = 83# of water raised 50F will take 4000 BTU, at 1200w will take one hour.