Water heater shut-off ... location and type?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tbbarch

Reaction score
18 years ago I had a cold water 3/4" shut-off gate valve on a copper line replaced with a RELLEUM ball valve. Currently having shut off that valve due to work on the T&P valve I find it is not holding.

I was of the mind ball valves outlasted gate valves by a large margin. 18 years does not strike me as a large margin.

I do not find, doing a Google search, RELLEUM selling plumbing valves now and that may be the answer to the quality issue.

The CW comes up from the floor loops up, over and down into the tank and the hot water loops up, over and then down in to the floor again. The shut-off is located at the top horizontal of the cold water pipe.

QUESTIONS:
I hear hot water pipes collect mineralization faster than cold water pipes, so is putting any kind of shut-off valve at the high point of a water heater just a bad idea? Should it be mounted below the top of the tank if possible - or as low as may be possible? I will not know if the valve failure is due to damaged seals during soldering until I can remove and disassemble it - if at all.

MANUFACTURER:
Having now had skepticism imprinted on me from some purchases at big box stores, should I be going directly to a plumbing supply for a higher end valve, and what manufacturers are recommended for hot water shut-offs? Who is still manufacturing valves stateside?

Thank you

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Made in the USA valves.

The company’s headquarters is based in Matthews, North Carolina with
manufacturing plants and foundries located in Pageland and Conway, South Carolina.

http://www.apollovalves.com/

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks