Water Heater Shorting Out

Users who are viewing this thread

Miggory

Reaction score
The water heater keeps shorting out. I push the reset button and then it will work for a day or two before it shorts out again. I am referring to the small circuit breaker that is part of the water heater. I would appreciate direction as to where I should turn my attention. (We drained it and installed new elements before we realized that shorting out was what was making it not work.)

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You probably have a temperature switch problem. You can replace the switch, which you can buy where you got the new elements.

It is possible that the switch causing the problem is not the one that is tripping out. The one that is tripped is usually a "High limit" switch that protects the water heater if a control fails. The "high limit" switch may be part of one of the temperature switches (usually the upper) of separate, usually located with the upper.

You will need a meter to test them. You may want to replace the whole set but if you can test them you can replace the one that failed.

You need to get circuit diagrams that go with your switches so you get it right. If you get the part number from the existing switches you can Google the number and probably get the circuit diagrams.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Just to add: the water heater is not "shorting out." The "circuit breaker" you refer to is a temperature-activated switch that cuts the power if the temperature gets too high. So either the temperature is getting too high or the switch is defective.

I usually replace both thermostats when I replace an element. We have a lot of hard water here and it's usually only necessary to replace the bottom element and clean the tank. But often the element breaks open and shorts into the tank, putting a lot of load on the thermostats, so I consider replacing them part of the job.

Miggory

Reaction score
Thank-you.

Thank-you Herk and Bob. I do apologize for taking so long to get back to you to tell you that we followed your advice and addressed the thermostats, replacing them. So far, so good. I think you may have solved our problem and saved us a lot of money. Thanks so very much for sharing your expertise with us.