water heater shelf life question.

Users who are viewing this thread

u.s.coins

Reaction score
i have a water heater that i bought about 8 years ago but never used it. it is a 40 gallon gas and is still in the box! i had a leaky t&p valve on my present tank and i thought i was going to have to change it but instead i only needed to change the valve. anyway, i was figuring i'd need the new tank so i had it delivered but never had to hook it up yet! i wondered if it would spoil setting around all that time in my basement. i have it sitting on a sheet of black plastic. :)

steve

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not sure when the FVIR requirements started, but if it's a gas WH, it may no longer meet code. If electric, not a problem. If you were to put in a gas WH that didn't meet the current codes, you may have a problem with the inspection. Doesn't mean that it couldn't work right. There were new rules on preventing a gas WH from igniting flamable vapors from stored, leaking chemicals nearby that forced a new burner/air intake design awhile ago.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
FVIR was July 2003, so you are close. Does it have a door to light the pilot with a match, or does it have a sparker?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The FVIR requirement is just to keep idiots from blowing themselves up. The only problem with your heater is that the factory warranty has expired, but normally you would not need it anyway.

Reaction score
If it is pre-FVIR, having that burner assembly on hand, new-in-box, is a big advantage...well, at least for those who aren't idiots that pour gasoline around their water heaters.

As long as water (as in condensation from humidity fluctuation and temp cycles) hasn't been getting into the tank it should last indefinitely.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While FVIR may be overkill, if you pulled a permit, the inspector may give you grief since it's what, 9+ years since the requirement changed. As to whether it should work...yes it should.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Har har.... but paint thinner and diesel only burns with a wick in it, and gasoline falls to the floor. Same for propane. The sure fire way to blow up a water heater is spraying laquer big time in the room.

I would sell it on craigslist and buy a sparker, or add somehow outside combustion air to the unit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks