water heater shelf life question.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by u.s.coins, Mar 13, 2012.

1. u.s.coins

u.s.coins Member

i have a water heater that i bought about 8 years ago but never used it. it is a 40 gallon gas and is still in the box! i had a leaky t&p valve on my present tank and i thought i was going to have to change it but instead i only needed to change the valve. anyway, i was figuring i'd need the new tank so i had it delivered but never had to hook it up yet! i wondered if it would spoil setting around all that time in my basement. i have it sitting on a sheet of black plastic. :)

steve
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Since it's been in the box, it should be fine. It takes water to start the rust process.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I'm not sure when the FVIR requirements started, but if it's a gas WH, it may no longer meet code. If electric, not a problem. If you were to put in a gas WH that didn't meet the current codes, you may have a problem with the inspection. Doesn't mean that it couldn't work right. There were new rules on preventing a gas WH from igniting flamable vapors from stored, leaking chemicals nearby that forced a new burner/air intake design awhile ago.
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

FVIR was July 2003, so you are close. Does it have a door to light the pilot with a match, or does it have a sparker?
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The FVIR requirement is just to keep idiots from blowing themselves up. The only problem with your heater is that the factory warranty has expired, but normally you would not need it anyway.
  6. Runs with bison

Runs with bison Member

If it is pre-FVIR, having that burner assembly on hand, new-in-box, is a big advantage...well, at least for those who aren't idiots that pour gasoline around their water heaters.

As long as water (as in condensation from humidity fluctuation and temp cycles) hasn't been getting into the tank it should last indefinitely.
  7. u.s.coins

u.s.coins Member

thanks terry. :D
  8. u.s.coins

u.s.coins Member

yeah it's the match type. the good ol' fashion kind. :)
  9. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

While FVIR may be overkill, if you pulled a permit, the inspector may give you grief since it's what, 9+ years since the requirement changed. As to whether it should work...yes it should.
  10. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Put it on a 18" tall box to eliminate most explosive vapor issues.
  11. Runs with bison

Runs with bison Member

But then you have to build an 18" tall shelf next to it to put your gasoline and paint thinner on!
  12. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Har har.... but paint thinner and diesel only burns with a wick in it, and gasoline falls to the floor. Same for propane. The sure fire way to blow up a water heater is spraying laquer big time in the room.

I would sell it on craigslist and buy a sparker, or add somehow outside combustion air to the unit.