Water Heater Service?

Users who are viewing this thread

Doohickie

Reaction score
Is there any regular servicing that needs to be done on a regular basis for an electric hot water heater? My wife is convinced that our water heater needs something done to it. I haven't noticed any issues, but she says she runs out of hot water when she's taking a shower. (Yes, she likes long showers.)

If there is a regular servicing that needs to be done, what actually is done to the heater?

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
A 2.5 GPM shower head @ 20 minutes, depending on your heater temperature setting, will take almost 50 gals of hot water.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How big is the tank? What is the temperature setting on it? If you raise it, you should probably consider a tempering valve to protect people from potentially scalding water, but it will then operate as a larger tank, since you'll use less (and more cold) to achieve the same output temperature. it will also have larger standby losses. typically, you can only utilize about 75-80% of the water in the tank before it cools off too much, so a 50-gallon tank often has about 40--gallons if it is dumped quickly (the heating elements will extend the quantity a bit, but need time).

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
My wife and I watch a lot of movies and, along with a few other symbols, the movie symbol of a person taking a shower means the person "wants to get rid of something."

After searching the Web for a correlation between long showers and what it might mean in the real world I've decided that rather than pursuing this line of inquiry you might want to get a bigger water heater. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks