Water heater sediment

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by 45SSVaquero, Dec 30, 2011.

1. 45SSVaquero

45SSVaquero New Member

Picked up a used electric water heater off of a job to temporarily replace my dying gas water heater. Will replace elements and swap anode. Has quite a bit of sediment at the bottom after draining. The tank still looks good. No rust. I believe it is a glass lined tank. wondering how i can fully get rid of the sediment. I am afraid the drain spout is not large enough to allow some of it to pass through when i flush it. I there something i can dump in prior to flushing do dissolve so of it to make it easier to flush? or is a shopvac and hose my best bet? I am new at this water heater thing so any thing will help. Thanks in advance.
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

All the tanks I have worked with have the drain valve threaded in. It's commonly recommended to throw away the factory valve and install a full-port bronze ball valve it it's place to allow full flow out of the drain. When the tank is free of connections, it can be tipped and flushed out using a garden hose pressure nozzle through the ports.

It's a lot of work for a heater that was pretty cheap to start with.