Water heater sediment

Users who are viewing this thread

45SSVaquero

Reaction score
Picked up a used electric water heater off of a job to temporarily replace my dying gas water heater. Will replace elements and swap anode. Has quite a bit of sediment at the bottom after draining. The tank still looks good. No rust. I believe it is a glass lined tank. wondering how i can fully get rid of the sediment. I am afraid the drain spout is not large enough to allow some of it to pass through when i flush it. I there something i can dump in prior to flushing do dissolve so of it to make it easier to flush? or is a shopvac and hose my best bet? I am new at this water heater thing so any thing will help. Thanks in advance.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
All the tanks I have worked with have the drain valve threaded in. It's commonly recommended to throw away the factory valve and install a full-port bronze ball valve it it's place to allow full flow out of the drain. When the tank is free of connections, it can be tipped and flushed out using a garden hose pressure nozzle through the ports.

It's a lot of work for a heater that was pretty cheap to start with.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks