Water Heater question

Users who are viewing this thread

joede

Reaction score
Hi- I have a 40 gal. A.O Smith gas water heater that is 12.5 years old.
If I take a shower, I notice a continued whoosing sound and a sound as if a couple marbles are rolling around. This lasts about 25-30 minutes. I do have hot water.
The only repair ever done was 4.5 years ago. Back in June 2010, a plumber drained it and he replaced the anode rod. The old rod was thinned down and he replaced it.
What does this mean? Does the noise just mean there is sediment build up or does it mean I'm about due for a replacement? Can anyone tell when a water heater is near the end?

Reach4

Reaction score
There are different opinions. But I suggest flushing the water heater for a DIYer with a fair amount of time avallable.
1. Turn the water heater temperature to minimum.. Turn off the water to the heater.
2. Open a hot water faucet to let air into the water heater. Turn
3. You run from the drain to a garden hose that goes outside or to a drain. Open the drain valve. Keep the hose low.
3. When the water stops flowing, open the incoming water fully for maybe 30 seconds. Turn off the water.
4. Repeat step 4 several times.

Close the drain valve and the faucet opened in step 2. Turn the water back on to the water heater.

When I did mine, I put a 3/4 inch nipple and fittings in place of the drain valve. That gave me more water flow. I used a system where my crud went into a tub, and I pumped out the water. But that requires a pump. It was impressive how much crud I got.

Also, you could pull the anode. Spray high speed water into that hole to wash the bottom of the heater.

joede

Reaction score
Thanks- on a separate note I'm reading the 40 gal. gas water heater will be larger in diameter, cost more, and maybe be vented differently after April 16, 2015? Or does this mostly just impact very large gas water heaters over 55 gal so wouldn't impact me? Mine is in a closet. There is some space between the water softener and laundry center. I really don't know what to think of this. If someone gets a new water heater after that date, it is possibly a big hassle? I don't want to waste money but this has me wondering if I would be better off to replace it now given its current age (12.5 years).

http://www.plumbingengineer.com/aug_14/water_feature.php

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For quite awhile, gas fired WH have been required to have a specially designed burner that won't allow it to cause an explosion if there are flammable vapors in the room. As a result, most of them are taller than the older ones. There are some other changes coming up. If you want to keep the same height, and the burner is taller, it has to be bigger in diameter for the same volume, or you make the whole thing taller. Today, it is often pot luck when changing a WH - you'll likely need to rework not only the gas line, but the water lines, and maybe the flue. It can be easier if your locale allows flexible supply lines, but depending on where you live, some require those to be hard-piped, and some require them to be flexible (common in earthquake country).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will want to measure the space you have now.
The new water heaters will be larger, both in height and diameter.
Average age of a gas water heater? Maybe 15 years. But by that time they also may be filling with sludge so your usable hot water is being reduced.
If it were my home and the heater was already ten years, I would it change now. I hope they come up with smaller replacements ten years from now.

joede

Reaction score
Thanks. I measured my 2002 installed water heater. It is about 53x17. This size works well. I called one plumber who told me they are still learning about the new requirements and what it will mean for customers. They install Bradford White 40 gal gas for about $1,100. I called another who installs Rudd or Ruud for $955. They said dimensions are 58x18.5 which would work (there is room for more height and a bit more width).

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you ask about the bids you received: keep calling more plumbers, you might get lucky and get it for less.

joede

Reaction score
I have 3 price quotes. The Rudd 40 gal gas is $955, the Bradford White $1,064, and a Rheem $1,252. The last quote seems too high. The high quote came out to look- everyone else said they don't need to. They said all is up to code so no extras needed. They said if I waited, they could get a bigger water heater in (22 inches wide vs. 18.5). They would have to move the water softener over a couple inches and it would be more crammed.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Stay away from the bradford... The Ruud is a good unit and so is the Rheem....
I would go with the Ruud as long as they dont cry about anything in the way
we installed 25 Ruud Achievers this summer. they are excellent units..

the Bradford will probably only last you about 5 years with soft water.
that is all we get when their is a water softener ..and their Icon valve is shitty

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks