Water Heater pressure relief line covered by concrete

Users who are viewing this thread

Ron Mac

Reaction score
My home is a two story brick. The water heater is in the middle of the downstairs in a closet under the stairwell. The line original travels inside of the foundation to a spot outside the outer wall that coincides with my breakfast nook.

I recently had the patio on the back of my house extended. Although I showed the concrete contractor where my water heater pressure relief line came out of the brick wall, he still managed to concrete over it. The contractor claimed he couldn't find the line. Now he has passed away.

What are my options? Do I jackhammer the patio until I find the line, or do I reroute the line? If I reroute the line, how do I go about it, seeing that there is another floor above the water heater?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The relief line daylights above the ground.
Can you go in the crawlspace, find the pipe, and determine if you can run it elsewhere?
You can't trap it, it needs to grade downward by gravity.

If that can't be done, there are some things that can be done.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While it may be nice to run that outside, if you run it into a pan then use a shutoff such as a www.wagsvalve.com to shut off the supply before it leaks so much as to damage the area, you don't need to run it outside. That is a T&P valve - temperature AND pressure safety release valve, and it should NEVER open unless something is very wrong. So, using a shutoff valve like the WAGS would force you to notice, since you'd no longer have any hot water at all, hopefully, before anything major occurred.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks