water heater pilot light won't stay on

Users who are viewing this thread

jacdela123

Reaction score
i have 3-year old water heater. when i tried to turn back on the pilot light, the fire dies every time i remove my hand from pressing the valve button.
i tried pressing it for more than 1 minute but as soon a i release my thumb, the pilot fire dies. any ideas, is the control valve damaged?

i also have 2 water tank in parallel.. i plan shutting off the water and gas going to the broken tank temporarily..

thanks,

Reach4

Reaction score
Typically that would mean that the thermocouple has gone bad. Do a web search for water heater pilot thermocouple. I would then inspect your heater to see if you recognize that part on your water heater and see if you can swap it out.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Today's gas water heaters have enclosed burner chambers, making replacing a thermocouple a bit more complicated for the average homeowner.

You can get a replacement from customer service under warranty, but if you don't want to wait, get one at the store (under $10).

If your problem persists after changing this part, let the fun begin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks