Water heater making strange noise

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by lnjohnson0685, Jul 27, 2011.

1. lnjohnson0685

lnjohnson0685 New Member

2 weeks ago we had a thunderstorm which made me have to press the reset button on my hot water heater. Now it seems like every other day I have to reset it. Well the power went out again yesterday I just now reset it.I turned the breaker off so I wouldn't shock myself... and when I flipped the breaker back on it made a strange noise, it sounds like a current is running through the heater... like you can actually hear the electricity running through the wires. Should I be worried is it safe? The insulation felt alittle wet to me also.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You had to press the reset button every other day, because the water was "super hot" due to one of the elements being shorted out. the sound you hear is probably that element "boiling water".
  3. lnjohnson0685

lnjohnson0685 New Member

so what should I do? I mean it sounds like electricity not boiling water. And should I turn down the temperature?
  4. supreme

supreme New Member

Hi,what brand is your tankless water heater?
  5. lnjohnson0685

lnjohnson0685 New Member

it says STATE water heater-- Censible energy effiency the maintance guy is coming sometime tomorrow but thought i could fix it myself
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It needs at least one new element, and since it is electricity, you probably should NOT try to fix it yourself.
  7. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

So what did the maintenance guy do yesterday?:confused:
  8. lnjohnson0685

lnjohnson0685 New Member

he hasn't showed up yet i will let you guys know if im here when he comes