Water Heater Location Question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by PlumbBobSquarePants, Oct 22, 2007.

1. PlumbBobSquarePants

PlumbBobSquarePants New Member

Is there any reason why I can't have my new water heater installed as per the picture attached? Where the dryer currently is.

Attached Files:

2. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

It appears that you have two fired units going into one flue. That is usually an unacceptble situation, whether the heater is where it is or where you want to put it.
  3. patrick88

patrick88 Plumber

It looks like that will be ok.
  4. PlumbBobSquarePants

PlumbBobSquarePants New Member

I sure hope it is acceptable as the new flue liner is only 18 months old? It was a reputable company that installed all of the new venting. Didn't need a water heater at the time.
  5. patrick88

patrick88 Plumber

If you posted the state/city/town etc... you live in it would be a lot simpler to tell you what is in code for you.
  6. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

See Folks

THIS IS WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT !!!!! Thank's Pat :)
  7. dowop

dowop New Member

I'm not so sure about this..... It is done all over the place (and legal) in the Northeast. A rough calculation is that the flue is sized for the largest diameter gas fired flue + 50% of the second size. For the acutal calculation you can reference one of the B-Vent companies product specifications (you need to know the BTU of each appliance). www.hartandcooley.com or www.mtlfab.com

Check with your township, state, but here as long as your using the right size for total BTU you would be allowed to combine them.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

heater

The only time it would not work is if either of the units had a powered flue. Then the forced draft one would backdraft into the other one.
  9. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

In N. Ca. ,older homes have this same set up all over , no problem.

This is a prime example why D I Y should list their state and city.
    We promise not to tell any x wives out there,REALLY