Water Heater High Temp Override

Users who are viewing this thread

Slappy5555

Reaction score
With a residential water heater, is there a way to get the water hotter than 140 degrees?

I understand that I may have to replace the blow off valve with a higher rated unit if I do indeed find a way to do it.

I am trying to avoid purchasing a commerical unit for my small business.

Thanks.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you have turned up the thermostat to it's highest setting thats all you are going to get with it.

You also may not get the amount of hot water you need from it.

Fooling with it may get your liability insurance canceled should something happen.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

gas or electric? The highest setting on most thermostats is 150 or 160 degrees. You cannot get a relief valve with a higher setting because they already come at the highest safe temperature. You probably just have the wrong heater for your application and nothing will make it work properly.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you were to change the "blow off " valve to a higher rating, the operative word would be BLOW as in UP. I cannot stress enough how dangerous this would be. That said, your T/P valve is designed for probably 200 or 212 degrees. If you ever got your water that hot, you would have an extremely dangerous situation.

It used to be you could set a thermostat for possibly 160º, but because of the EXTREME burn hazard presented by even this temperature, most thermostats these days for residential will max out at 140º. Commercial WH can be set to 160 or possibly 180. The theory would be that the operators of a commercial facility will use suitable precautions to not ever send water that hot to a tub or shower.

Why do you need the water so hot? If it is for a restaurant or commercial laundry, a commercial WH will do it. If this is in your house, please don't even think about it!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks