Water heater flame color

Users who are viewing this thread

Nels

Reaction score
We have a 50 gallon Reliance XG50T 12DM40U0 water heater that is 7 years old. We had it serviced a few months ago, the burner was cleaned and the anode replaced. I took a look a couple days ago and noticed that the flame had orange (see attached) in addition to what I expected would be only blue. Is this normal or is this a problem?

On another note, I noticed that the water heater exhaust pipes do not have tape to seal around the connections to prevent the smell of gas when the flame is ignited. Is this proper or not?

Than you very much,
Nels

Attachments

• WaterHeaterFlame.jpg
    WaterHeaterFlame.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 46

CTho

Reaction score
We have a 50 gallon Reliance XG50T 12DM40U0 water heater that is 7 years old. We had it serviced a few months ago, the burner was cleaned and the anode replaced. I took a look a couple days ago and noticed that the flame had orange (see attached) in addition to what I expected would be only blue. Is this normal or is this a problem?

On another note, I noticed that the water heater exhaust pipes do not have tape to seal around the connections to prevent the smell of gas when the flame is ignited. Is this proper or not?
I am not a plumber and I’m not qualified to give safety advice. I don’t know the answer to your flame color question. However, that appears to be a natural draft water heater model. They have an open gap between the top of the heater and the bottom of the exhaust duct (flue). Is that what you’re referring to? If so, when they’re operating properly the combustion products do effectively vent outside. If you’re noticing a smell in the house, the water heater could be backdrafting, which is dangerous.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Flue pipe joints normally don't need tape if from the heater the male end goes into the female end all the way out. Three screws holding each joint together on single.wall. Unless it's b vent they lock together. If a heater is backdrafting the two water pipes at the top have plastic gromlets either side of the flue will be deformed by the flue gas. Guess the pic of the flame is with the cover off the orange is dust burning that taking the cover off. If the flame was lazy or yellow tips then i get it looked at but it looks good. That part that right off the top of heater is a draft diverter all part of the natural draft venting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks