Water heater drain pan

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Xenomorph, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Xenomorph

Xenomorph New Member

I am just wondering what you guys do to connect the vertical tailpiece/downspout to the galvanized water heater drain pan. The tailpiece is brass, but the pan is galvanized. Is it possible to solder the 2 together using acid flux and regular solder?

thx.
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

The T&P is 3/4 threaded brass that will accept a copper male adp. with soldered pipe going to a upright T with a 3" X 1.5" coupling bushed reduced down to 1" into the T. It needs a 2" air gap between 3" PVC and the copper. This is what is required where I am. They don't want the T&P going into the pan incase the T&P leaks the heater would be sitting in water.
  3. Plumb or Die

Plumb or Die Plumbing Instructor

Yes, you can

Yes you can solder it, just heat slowly to not overheat and blacken the galvanized pan. A always solder them, a buddy of mine silicones his.
  4. Xenomorph

Xenomorph New Member

Thx for the ideas Plumb or Die :)