Water heater choices

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by dx, Feb 16, 2011.

1. dx

dx General Contractor

I am looking for a power direct vent heater, 60-75 gal, with a 65k or higher burner. Must be Energy Star, which means EF=.67 or better. Does not need to be condensing.

I've identified the Rheem PDV65 as a possible candidate but it doesn't meet the Energy Star.

Does anyone know of, or can recommend any heaters that meet these criteria? Thanks.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Bradford White makes a few that probably meet those requirements...I know they had a few that met the energy credit requirements for the Federal program last year, and one prerequisite was Energy Star qualification.
  3. dx

dx General Contractor

Actually no. Not any that I can find.

It seems Bradford's direct vent heaters (2-pipe) are less efficient than their power vent heaters, at least according to figures on their website.
  4. dx

dx General Contractor

Ok, apparently nothing out there. Looks like I might have to go into a condensing unit.

Let me try a different question: Why is the Bradford condensing heater well over twice as expensive as the AOSmith Vertex?