Water Hammering

Users who are viewing this thread

fastmat23

Reaction score
Need Help! In my new home I installed a Geothermal unit that works great!! The unit basically takes water from my well cycles it through the goe unit and dumps it out into my pond. Heats and cools my house wonderfully! Now the issue I am having. The 3/4" copper that dumps the water out of the unit has a solenoid on it. When the solenoid closes it causes water hammering thoughout the pipe in my basement. As of Sat July 19th I added a water hammering arrestor on the 3/4" output pipe which seemed to work great for the first day. Now its back to hammering again, but not as loud. Any suggestions? Do the make larger water hammering arrestors? Please help!
Thanks
Matt

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
What kind of hammer arrestor did you install? If it's just a pipe with air in it it might be waterlogged already. Some are made with sealed air chambers, which can't be waterlogged.

If it's a long run of water, it might be too much for a regular arrestor. I doub it, since it did work once, but if so, you might be able to install an expansion tank in its place.

fastmat23

Reaction score

It was an arrestor from home depot. It was $12.00 the guy just handed me it. I think the package read something about a cylinder arrestor. It was 8" long and 3/4" in dia.

Leaving the geo unit is 1" copper, then it ties into a solenoid which reduces is from 1" to 3/4" I have a vertical run of copper at about 4' then a 90 with a horizontal pipe that takes it outside. On the horizontal copper with the arrestor pointing up is where I tied it in using a T.

Is there other sizes of arrestors?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks