Water hammering, no, jack hammering

Users who are viewing this thread

Grayfeathers

Reaction score
The house is 17 yrs old. We've had this problem since we've owned the house but we just don't use the tub/shower unit. The unit has a single knob and a pull to activate the shower. Running the hot water alone in the tub there is no hammering, only when the shower is activated. When the shower is activated, the noise is so loud you can't stand to be in the bathroom. This is a continuious hammering, almost as if you have a machine gun in the bathroom with you. This is the only room that we have this problem in. You can get to the gate valves to both the hot and cold in the basement directly below the unit but the lines are close to the joist and there is no room for any arestors or what ever you call them. I have drained the lines many times to no avail. We are tring to sell the house and have been asked to fix the problem via the home inspector. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What you have is not a water hammer but a symptom of something loose in the water stream that is flopping around and essentially turning the water on and off many times a minute.

Lets start with a logical spot and see what we find. Since the noise is only when the shower is selected remove the showerhead from the shower arm. Turn it on and select the shower with the showerhead removed. Lets see what falls out of the pipe.

Grayfeathers

Reaction score
Found nothing

I took the shower head off and had good water flow and still had the hammering. I've thought about taking the handle off but I wouldn't know what I'd be looking at.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What brand and model is the mixer valve? You can post a picture if you don't know.

How is the water diverted from the tub spout to the showerhead?

Grayfeathers

Reaction score
It says Delta

But I'll let you be the judge of that.

Attachments

• 100_1068.jpg
    100_1068.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 364
  • 100_1069.jpg
    100_1069.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 370

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Walks like a duck...
Talks like a duck...
looks like a duck...

Must be a damn duck!

Lets try one more thing...
Remove the handle and trim plate.
Unscrew the diverter, pill out the actual diverter and spring them screw the tube back in without the actual diverter and spring.

Block off the tube with your finger turn on the water see if anythin flushes out the tub spout, take your finger off see if any thing flushes out the tube.

Before doing that look inside and see if anything is in there loose.
Then reinstall it and see if anything happens.

Grayfeathers

Reaction score
Do I need to turn the water off to the shower first?

This is an avenue that I haven't been down before. In other words, it's too late in the evening to get soaked.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No you can leave the water on just don't operate the handle because that is what is holding back the water. Only open it when you are ready to flush, water will spray out that diverter tube when you take your finger off it so be ready. Use a towel or someting to deflect the water downward into the tub. it will shoot at the back wall of the tub.

All you are doing is taking off the plastic handle and the escutchion then the diverter.

Last edited:

Grayfeathers

Reaction score
Another cap??

It looks as though there is a cap, for lack of a better term, that has to be removed. I've got the deverter unscrewed but it won't come out. Look at the pic and see what you think. If I have to unscrew this cap then I'll have to cut into the fiberglass a little to get it out.

Attachments

• 100_1071.jpg
    100_1071.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 374

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know if that was supposed to come apart like that!
Yes, you will have to cut some of the fiberglass to get at that brass nut.
Did that chrome piece thread out of the brass or, was it pressed in. Hopefully we get that back together...

Grayfeathers are you Native American?

Grayfeathers

Reaction score
Pressed in

I thought at first it screwed out but it was indeed pressed in.

I really appreciate your help on this. Will Lowes or Home Depot sell this deverter? I've I'm going to spend this much trouble getting it out then I'm going to replace it once I get it out.

Grayfeathers

Reaction score
LOL. No It's funny how I got the name

I'm a Scoutmaster at our local district. I'm actually called Chief Grayfeathers. I'm 44 yrs old and I'm already got a full head of gray. It's a long story of how I actually got the name and I'll be more than happy to tell it to you sometime. Right now though I'm going to go to bed and start on this again in the morning.
Thanks again for your assistance.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
check the private message I sent you!

They are very commonly available, I would recommend using Delta OEM parts I gave you the number earlier. For flushing puposes you could probably just thump it back in. Once you trim the fiberglass it is an easy in and out.

Any good hardware, plumbing supply house or, big box store should have it.

Grayfeathers

Reaction score
Update

I never could get the nut off. I have nothing that can get in there to grip it. The only thing that would come close is a socket that I slipped over the stud but the channel locks that I have wouldn't grip the socket. I'm afraid that I'd strip the nut then I'd be in worse shape than I am now. Anyway, I flushed the lines and made the shower come on. I didn't see anything come out that may have been causing the problem. I put everything back together and turn on the hot water and pushed the diverter in and NO HAMMERING. I've tried it several times and again NO HAMMERING. As long as it will keep on until I sell the house I will be happy.

Thanks again.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you do go to change it you may be able to trim the fiberglass then push it in and get an adjustable wrench on it there is some flex in it.

But, it does sound as though your goal has been met. Were you able to pound the tube back into the nut okay?

Grayfeathers

Reaction score
Not leaking inside the wall but through the stud that you push to get the shower working. If I get time I'll try to replace it later on. Now that I know (thanks to you) what the problem is or was.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
In your next house if somethings wrong with the plumbig don't wait 17 years!:eek:

We'll let you enjoy your repair instead of someone else!:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks