Water hammer while well is pumping

Users who are viewing this thread

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
When you say one-way valve I assume you mean a check valve. I would be suspicious that the poppet in the check valve is chattering and causing your problem. It is down stream from the hose bibb, and you don't have a problem at the hose bibb.

Ding, ding, ding. I think we have a winner. That check valve is a lot more likely the problem than anything else you have mentioned. I hate PVC check valves and it doesn't matter that it is new, it could still be the problem. You don't need check valves above ground anyway. Remove it and see what happens.

Mliu

Reaction score
Sorry for the late update; had a bunch of more pressing projects to deal with.

I finally got around to removing the above-ground check valve yesterday and the water hammer while pumping has stopped. Genius! The first well was plumbed exactly the same way and it has worked correctly for years, so I had no reason to suspect the set-up at the well head was to blame. That is why I thought it was flow dynamics at the Tee fitting (which was the only part that was different from the original well). In any case, even though the first well has been A-OK for several years with an above-ground check valve at the well head, I think I'll remove that one too.

So the only remaining issue is that I am still seeing rapid flutter/vibration (+/- 2-3 psi) on the pressure gauge needle at this second well. I've never seen this occuring at the first well. Any thoughts?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Turbulence in the pipe can make a pressure gauge flutter like that. I don't think it is anything to worry about. If you get a liquid filled gauge you won't be able to see the fluttering.

Mliu

Reaction score
Turbulence in the pipe can make a pressure gauge flutter like that. I don't think it is anything to worry about. If you get a liquid filled gauge you won't be able to see the fluttering.
I understand about the liquid-filled gauge, but I didn't want to mask any underlying problem. The first well has a similar gauge to this second one (i.e., both are undampened), and it doesn't exhibit any flutter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks