Water hammer, or machine gun?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ejody

Reaction score
Hi,

Not pretending to have any plumbing knowledge here so thanks for clear advice to a complete layman!
We have city water. All the sudden our pressure is lower and now when I turn on the water-- sink, shower, outdoor garden hose-- the water pressure quickly cycles up and down like a massage shower head.

Our home was built in 2003. No water softener filters or anything.

I do hear loud noise from what appears to be a pressure reducing valve in our garage.
20151118_094719.jpg
20151118_094712.jpg

(A) What could be causing this issue?
20151118_094712.jpg
20151118_094719.jpg

(B) Is it something I can fix myself (I have basic handyman skills, but no soldering or welding or cutting pipe)
(C) If it's beyond my skill level do I need to hire a full-on licensed plumber ($$)

Thanks for any quick replies!

P.S. Don't assume I know what any plumbing parts are called, abbreviations, etc.
I'm an expert on some things and this ain't one of them!

THANK YOU!

Reach4

Reaction score
I would also look to your PRV. What is the brand and model info from the tag on the PRV? I am not a plumber.

Ejody

Reaction score
I would also look to your PRV. What is the brand and model info from the tag on the PRV? I am not a plumber.
Thank you. Photo attached here.

Watts Model DUS (?)

Attachments

• 2015-11-18 10.49.02.jpg
    2015-11-18 10.49.02.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 2015-11-18 10.49.02.jpg
    2015-11-18 10.49.02.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 159

Sluggo

Reaction score
My house was built in 2001 and I had the same problem as you a couple of years ago (as did my neighbor, whose house was built when mine was.) I ended up rebuilding the PRV. I was tempted to just replace the entire PRV, but the idiot who installed it ran the plumbing in a totally weird and almost inaccessible way that would have required real ingenuity in cutting out the old one and getting a new one soldered in. The refurbishing kits are pretty easy to install and, for your installation, it looks like you would have easy access. My PRV is a Watts and the kit came with clear instructions.
One other thing: you should consider replacing your hot water heater expansion tank, or plumbing in a new one, if you don't have one. A malfunctioning tank (or none at all) can also be a source of noises and pressure issues.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks