Water hammer arrestor leak

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by ktvaughan, Mar 25, 2012.

1. ktvaughan

ktvaughan New Member

I have a water hammer arrestor PVC column that is leaking (cracked PVC pipe).
    It has an elbow off the main water inlet with a nut that threads into the elbow.
    Can I unthread that nut and replace the column or would it all be glued together?
    What is the current recommendation for replacing this (it's a simple 18 inch long piece of 3 inch PVC pipe capped at the top)?
  2. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

It should all be glued together! I don't know why it's even on the system if you have a pressure tank? Replace it with new and you should be OK.
  3. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Must be pretty bad water hammer if it cracked the arrestor. Need to find out what is causing the water hammer and fix that. Water hammer is the symptom, you need to find and prevent the disease.
  4. ktvaughan

ktvaughan New Member

I replaced the PVC air column but the system stills hammers when the well pump shuts off. Pressure, cycling and pump seem to be working normally. It just hammers when the pumps shuts off at the end of a pump cycle. What would this a symptom of? Maybe my air column is too tall (I added 18 inches to be safe).
  5. ktvaughan

ktvaughan New Member

I immobilized the air column with a 2x4 and it seems better. Maybe the air column was vibrating when the pump cycled.
  6. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

You probably have a check valve with the spring broken or the check valve is dragging. When the pump shuts off, the spring is supposed to close the check before the water direction reverses. If the spring is broken, the check only closes after the water reverses which causes a water hammer.