Water Hammer Arrester Needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I need to know what specs to look for in my particular situation. This copper line originates in the garage--Up thru the roof and into my Evaporative cooler...The cooler is a 2 year old Aero Cool equipted with an automatic water purge (for fresh water every 8 hours). The line itself is the same size you see on auto ice makers. The hammer noise is very loud. I'm in the desert so the cooler gets heavy usage May thru September. thanks...Mike

Last edited:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You never fixed your water pressure problem, did you?

That's why you have it. If you did, then there's another culprit that might be simple. ie loose pipe or loose washer somewhere in the system.

Water Hammer Arrestors are just symptom fixers, not problem solvers.

I have the pressure relief valve (which works great). But no....I never installed the expansion tank. Geez what a memory...

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Oatley and Sioux City make an arrestor that could be spliced into your supply line. I'm sure there are others.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Geez what a memory...

Rugged has a couple of these in his head...

184-pinDIMM.gif

A whole lotta gigs....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hammer

I am not sure how that unit purges, but Master Cool uses the sump water to flush it and then the float valve refills it. If that is how yours works there should be no hammer when the valve closes.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The arrester should be close to the offending valve. The idea is to absorb the energy from the stream of water when the flow is shut off...that would be near the valve.

mini_resters.jpg

The one on the left is for a washer.
The one in the center can be soldered onto a tee.
The one on the right can be used inline like for a lav supply or an icemaker line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks