Water Hammer Arrester Needed

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Mike50, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Mike50

Mike50 DIY Senior Member

I need to know what specs to look for in my particular situation. This copper line originates in the garage--Up thru the roof and into my Evaporative cooler...The cooler is a 2 year old Aero Cool equipted with an automatic water purge (for fresh water every 8 hours). The line itself is the same size you see on auto ice makers. The hammer noise is very loud. I'm in the desert so the cooler gets heavy usage May thru September. thanks...Mike
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  2. You never fixed your water pressure problem, did you?

That's why you have it. If you did, then there's another culprit that might be simple. ie loose pipe or loose washer somewhere in the system.

Water Hammer Arrestors are just symptom fixers, not problem solvers.
  3. Mike50

Mike50 DIY Senior Member

I have the pressure relief valve (which works great). But no....I never installed the expansion tank. Geez what a memory...
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Oatley and Sioux City make an arrestor that could be spliced into your supply line. I'm sure there are others.
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Rugged has a couple of these in his head...

[​IMG]

A whole lotta gigs....
  6. Mike50

Mike50 DIY Senior Member

Thanks Jim--I'll look into those.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

hammer

I am not sure how that unit purges, but Master Cool uses the sump water to flush it and then the float valve refills it. If that is how yours works there should be no hammer when the valve closes.
  8. Mike50

Mike50 DIY Senior Member

http://www.adobeair.com/accessories.html

This is the unit..at bottom of page...

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2009
  9. Mike50

Mike50 DIY Senior Member

Regarding water hammer arrester....am I correct in assuming that it should be installed closer to the water source as opposed to the roof top cooler?

thanks,Mike
  10. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The arrester should be close to the offending valve. The idea is to absorb the energy from the stream of water when the flow is shut off...that would be near the valve.

[​IMG]
    The one on the left is for a washer.
    The one in the center can be soldered onto a tee.
    The one on the right can be used inline like for a lav supply or an icemaker line.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2009
  11. Mike50

Mike50 DIY Senior Member

Gotcha....