Water Hammer Arrester - Must be Vertical?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by larrymcg, Sep 28, 2010.

1. larrymcg

larrymcg Member

I'm guessing this is a silly question, but..... Does the tube of a water arrester have to be vertical?

Since the arrester tube has a piston that separates the water from the contained gas, I thought there could be a chance that the tube could be horizontal.

I want to put arresters on the hot and cold lines to the clothes washer but the current flexible lines connect to shut-off valves with outlets that go straight down. So connecting something like the Sioux Chief Min-Restor at the shut-off valves would have the tube in the horizontal direction.

--Larry

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    They can be horizontal.
    However, you can also mount them on the washer and keep them vertical is you want.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. larrymcg

larrymcg Member

I wonder why I didn't think of mounting them on the washer? The connections on the washer are above each other so I could mount the top arrester vertically and the bottom one at a slight angle to miss the top one!

Thanks,
    Larry

5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Ideally, the arrester is installed as close to the quick-acting valve as possible...and, with an engineered on, orientation is irrelelvant.

6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    Point the top one up and the lower one down. They will work effectively in either direction.