Water for Icemaker

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Robert May, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Robert May

Robert May New Member

Should I supply hard water or soft water for the icemaker on my new refrigerator. Both are available with about the same difficulty.
  2. big2bird

big2bird IBEW Electrician

I am quite sure you do not want to ingest soft water.
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Why not? I use only RO filtered "soft" water for ingesting.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The only reason for not ingesting soft water would be if you are on a low sodium diet. RO water is NOT the same as "soft water". Hard water will give you cloudy cubes because of the suspended minerals in it. Some sites will say not to us RO water, but my icemakers, and others I service, have used it for decades without any problem, and with clear cubes.
  5. LLigetfa

Just how much sodium do you expect to get from ice cubes to make it a concern?

True. It is softer. RO filtration can affect the pH and also being the "universal solvent" that it is, can be "aggressive" in dissolving some metals such as copper.

Yes, I do get nice clear cubes from RO water.
  6. big2bird

big2bird IBEW Electrician

I use my RO to feed my icemaker also. When he said "soft water" I assumed he meant a salt water unit.
  7. LLigetfa

Even so, the amount of sodium that would be added to the diet from ice cubes made with soft water is so minuscule as to be laughable.
  8. toddo

toddo New Member

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Slight hijack, please.

Whole house remodel, ran copper for an icemaker, figuring it would come off a RO filter under sink. Heard a few theories about compatibility of RO water and copper, wondering what the collective wisdom of this board is. Copper is buried in wall.

TIA, Todd
  9. Chad Schloss

Chad Schloss Member

You shouldn't use copper after the water has been treated by a RO unit.
  10. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

THere's a reason water is called the universal solvent. RO treated water is quite aggressive and is much more able to attack (dissolve) things verses more common water that contains minerals. Probably not a good idea to use it with a copper line.