Water flow poor throughout house.

Users who are viewing this thread

ChrisSta

Reaction score
Hi, I have been having problems with low water flow throughout my house which gets worse if any other fixture is opened at the same time another is running. I have a well with a submersible pump connected to a well pressure tank and a large holding tank. The water pressure gauge on the well pressure tank reads around 50 psi. What are the symptoms of a flooded tank? I haven't checked the pressure in the bladder yet. Could there be a filter that is clogged on the pump. I have 2 filter tanks for iron removal. Those were cleaned when I bought the house 2 years ago. Any ideas? Thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
Symptoms of a flooded tank is fast cycling of the pump, and inability to supply several gallons of water when you turn the pump off.

When you open a faucet, what does the pressure gauge read? Still 50 or does it drop fast?

You probably want to buy a pressure gauge that can hook to a garden hose thread to help in tracking down your problem. Less than $15. Hook temporarily to the laundry tub spiggot, washing machine faucet, or outside faucet.

Tell us more about these iron filters. How large. Do they use electricity? Maybe include a photo.

ChrisSta

Reaction score
I just drained the pressure tank and quite a bit of water came out under pressure. The air pressure in the bladder was only about 30 psi. Actually, the water pressure when I first checked was 60 psi so I added 8 psi to the air bladder. I think the bladder is still good, no water just air and when I drained the tank the gauge didn't drop quickly. It did drop to zero when the tank was empty. I get better flow to the kitchen and bathroom faucets, however still have poor pressure and flow to the 1st floor shower. I actually get better flow to the shower on the 2nd floor than the shower on the 1st floor. And pressure and flow still drops quickly when a second fixture is opened. The iron filters are carbon filters and there is a electric back flush. They are about 5 ft tall and 1 ft diameter.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yep, your bladder is good, but raising that precharge was useful.

How does the pressure compare for hot and cold?

A water heater drain is a decent place to put one of those pressure gauges temporarily.
d86ca1b6-06d4-4f46-bd9e-0a86b371cf47_145.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks