water flow indicator on main line

Users who are viewing this thread

web_surfer

Reaction score
Is there some type of water flow sensor that can be installed on the main line right after the water meter that would sense a sudden increase in water flow (such as a ruptured pipe, hose, etc.)?

I know they make sensors for the existence of water after it has leaked out. However, it would be great if there was something out there that could detect a sudden increase in the water flow & notify me (like some of the aforesaid sensors do) or stop the water (like floodsafe hoses on washers - but not restrict the water flow itself - tried using these & takes forever to fill up washer). Also, the sensors generally are only effective in the area they are located.

Thanks,
Matt

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I know an electrically operated shut off valve is ~$600. With a flowmeter and interface box you're set to go. You'd probably want to detect an excessive rate-of-rise of the GPM.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sensor

There used to be a device like that, although I do not remember who made it or if they still do. One problem is that it can give "false trips" which can be a nuisance if you are in the shower at the time.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I was looking on the net for flowmeters for my hydronic heating system and came across one that had an optional alarm contact output.

I'll see if I can find it, was interesting and might work for what you are looking for.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
They had a cut-off valve on TOH or ATOH that would shut off the water if you had a rupture. They turned on a typical 2gpm-type faucet and it came on and turned off. Then they cut the supply hose and immediately it shut.

I don't know who makes it though. :(

False trips would be annoying...hope it works well long term...

web_surfer

Reaction score
OK, found a module that would call me up to five times if it is activated (this would be in lieu of a shutoff). They only want $697 for it.

The real difficulty seems to be finding a sensor that detects a rapid (sudden) increase in flow rate. Found some sensors that install inline that detect if no flow is available or that indicate when a certain flow rate exists. Neither of these will work.

Oh well, with limited time to research this, I guess I will have to wait - maybe something like this will come out in the future.

Thanks,
Matt

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
OK, found a module that would call me up to five times if it is activated (this would be in lieu of a shutoff). They only want $697 for it.

The real difficulty seems to be finding a sensor that detects a rapid (sudden) increase in flow rate. Found some sensors that install inline that detect if no flow is available or that indicate when a certain flow rate exists. Neither of these will work.

Oh well, with limited time to research this, I guess I will have to wait - maybe something like this will come out in the future.

Thanks,
Matt
False positives/false negatives \/

?....Pipe breaks, no alarm
OK...Pipe breaks, alarm
?....Pipe doesn't break, false alarm
OK...Pipe doesn't break, no alarm

You may want more sophistication than off-the-shelf units offer. Custom logic circuitry can be done in this case once you have a flow rate sensor.

If you forward me a huge check :)
I guess I could do AI, where the system "learns" what is normal and what is not.

Last edited:

web_surfer

Reaction score
Thatguy,

Sorry, but no "huge" check unless I win the lottery. Since I don't buy lottery tickets I am pretty sure I won't win.:mad:

I was hoping to find something that would work & would cost no more than $300 or so. Pretty sure that is not "huge" enough. We are already way over budget on this remodel. I am not really sure why we even had a budget.

Thanks

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Why don't you get yourself something similar to a water guardian...

It's basicially a system that requires you to install a solenoid valve on your water main. Then you connect that motorized valve to a control pad. Also connected to the control pad are sensors.

You place the sensors on the floor. If water gets on the floor the sensors (basically switches that get thrown when water allows the electricity to conduct across the poles.).

These are not the BEST solution but they're good for high risk areas like your HWT, main water supply etc.

Might be something to look into?

They also only retail for $185....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks