Water dripping from bathroom into dining room. Help!

Users who are viewing this thread

marcolinux271

Reaction score
We remodeled our bathroom with tiles and marble in the shower last January.
Yesterday my wife took a shower and the water instead of going down the drain started coming up. I tried to pump the drain and debris and sand (maybe grout) came out. It took a while before the water went away.
I decided to take a shower in the other bathroom and, right after, that sewege water started dripping through the ceiling into the dining room downstairs.
The plumber that came said that all upstairs is clogged up because of the debris, sand, etc., but the builder that remodeled the bathroom said that's not the problem.
Any advice?

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Clogged

There should be no sand or debri in the drain. Sounds like the builder and tile guy used your drains for a trash bin. I do not believe the plumber put the builders trash in your drain.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, tile guys have been known to rinse out mortar and grout buckets, and this sounds like it may be a problem.

However, a clog and a leak are two different things. Please clarify. Is the leak coming from the newly tiles shower, or the bathroom you don't use?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Water dripping from bathroom into dining room.

We remodeled our bathroom with tiles and marble in the shower last January.
Yesterday my wife took a shower and the water instead of going down the drain started coming up. I tried to pump the drain and debris and sand (maybe grout) came out. It took a while before the water went away.
I decided to take a shower in the other bathroom and, right after, that sewege water started dripping through the ceiling into the dining room downstairs.
The plumber that came said that all upstairs is clogged up because of the debris, sand, etc., but the builder that remodeled the bathroom said that's not the problem.
Any advice?

Sounds like a fitting is cracked and you have bigger problems that will need lots of time to find and fix.

When renovating a bathroom shower it is important to invest in a test plug. This keeps debris out of the line. Also make sure it is in your contract or scope of work agreement with your builder than no one uses the shower, sink or toilet to drain away waste water. Waste water builds up fast. It is best to let buckets settle overnight and pour off the dirty water into the yard somewher and dump the sludge into a sludge bucket. Later the sludge bucket can be taken to the dump.

By including this kind of agreement with your crew you protect your home and in the event of a disaster like this the builder will need to fix it - not you.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Stopping Dripping water .

Sorry - just adding some insight to these old threads. Trying to keep things active here on Terry's site. Not a lot of information in the old posts. Better get used to it. I have only started to warm up.

The problem as I see it is that Jim is implying I do not know what I'm doing. So If I answer say a hundred or more questions. People can get a glimpse of what I know. What I build. And can decide for themselves who understands this business better.

It is a great learning exercise and while doing this I help keep Terry's Bathroom section growing with graphics. Which is what is missing. More and more people are searching pictures first. It would be a shame if Terry missed out on this action.

I have maybe 5,000 photo's on file. Maybe more. Everyday of work for the last six years. Pretty sure I can raise the bar here.

Great comment Guy - useful post. Please correct me if I was mistaken in my observation - I think not.

Many people are looking for help because of dripping water. If it's in the dining room that's terrible.

Could be that the original plumbing lines where not supported properly. Maybe a fat lazy SOB of a tile guy plugged the drain. Maybe they power snaked it. maybe this cracked a fitting. Who knows - Sounds like to me that this could happen.

If people stopped drywall crews and tilers from dropping their waste water down these showers these things would not happen.

Just a though. JW

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks