Water draining bad, backup in basement... (Pictures included)

Users who are viewing this thread

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
A Plumber in an hour is a franchise, I can not say if they are properly licensed. What part of Chicago are you in? The bathtub if its in the basement it would not drain proper. If the city sewer is backed up yes it will cause the water to back up out of the floor drain as well as that open clean out. Here is a couple good guys I know:

Bagley Complete Sewer Service (773) 254-4068

Broschi & Roberts Sewer & Plumbing Serv (773) 376-3030

mike04gt

Reaction score
A Plumber in an hour is a franchise, I can not say if they are properly licensed. What part of Chicago are you in? The bathtub if its in the basement it would not drain proper. If the city sewer is backed up yes it will cause the water to back up out of the floor drain as well as that open clean out. Here is a couple good guys I know:

Bagley Complete Sewer Service (773) 254-4068

Broschi & Roberts Sewer & Plumbing Serv (773) 376-3030

I live right by Wrigley Field if you are familiar with the area, the bathtub is on the first floor of a 2 flat house... I'm going to try again to call the City on Monday since they are probably closed tomorrow... if its the City sewer, I'll be happy that its not mine.

Thanks for those guys numbers, I'll be calling them tomorrow for sure if they are open!!!

I appreciate all the help!

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I live right by Wrigley Field if you are familiar with the area, the bathtub is on the first floor of a 2 flat house... I'm going to try again to call the City on Monday since they are probably closed tomorrow... if its the City sewer, I'll be happy that its not mine.

Thanks for those guys numbers, I'll be calling them tomorrow for sure if they are open!!!

I appreciate all the help!

Do I know the area.. heh... Parking is always fun to find. lol and one of the best sewer equipment suppliers is in that area. The tub has its own issue. probably some hair build up.

I do not know how long you lived in that area, but back when I was a teen I used to hang out at a dance club called Medusa's , If I am recalling right it was on Sheffield and School. Then you got The Ally, which back in the day was just that a little store with an ally access, that sold homemade punk clothing, but now is a super trendy store. Oh and Belmont and Clark's Punk N Donuts. Ahh the good old days. Oh oh and Stage Left theater the first home of the Neo-Futurists, and To Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind.

mike04gt

Reaction score
Do I know the area.. heh... Parking is always fun to find. lol and one of the best sewer equipment suppliers is in that area. The tub has its own issue. probably some hair build up.

I do not know how long you lived in that area, but back when I was a teen I used to hang out at a dance club called Medusa's , If I am recalling right it was on Sheffield and School. Then you got The Ally, which back in the day was just that a little store with an ally access, that sold homemade punk clothing, but now is a super trendy store. Oh and Belmont and Clark's Punk N Donuts. Ahh the good old days. Oh oh and Stage Left theater the first home of the Neo-Futurists, and To Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind.

There are a ton of cool plumbing places up in this area, I've spent many a day and alot of money over at the Faucet Shoppe on Elston haha. Been fixing alot of the basic plumbing problems with the sinks in this house, and the tub.

We had the tub rodded about a month or so ago, he said there is a 'junk trap' in line that could be corroded inside where it would be beneficial to just cut it out and replace most of the line with PVC pipe. I'd love to do that, but just no money right now haha

I've only been living up here in Wrigleyville for a few months, but I do know the Clark & Belmont area well, too bad that area is all yuppies and FAKE punk kids nowadays. TMLMTBGB is having their 20th anniversary this month :eek: I live right off of Ashland and Addison, their theater is off Foster and Ashland if memory serves me right :cool:

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
There are a ton of cool plumbing places up in this area, I've spent many a day and alot of money over at the Faucet Shoppe on Elston haha. Been fixing alot of the basic plumbing problems with the sinks in this house, and the tub.

We had the tub rodded about a month or so ago, he said there is a 'junk trap' in line that could be corroded inside where it would be beneficial to just cut it out and replace most of the line with PVC pipe. I'd love to do that, but just no money right now haha

I've only been living up here in Wrigleyville for a few months, but I do know the Clark & Belmont area well, too bad that area is all yuppies and FAKE punk kids nowadays. TMLMTBGB is having their 20th anniversary this month :eek: I live right off of Ashland and Addison, their theater is off Foster and Ashland if memory serves me right :cool:

If its the one over the funeral home then yep that is their recent home. Dang I should get my arse over there.

Last edited:

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Man, I have been living in the suburbs to long.. well not visiting the city as much as I used to. Have you ever been to Riccobenies? They are over on Th Street, If you take State St south till you hit Th just turn right and you cant miss them. There is parking under the viaduct across the street. Best breaded steak sandwich you ever have, and awesome fresh cut fries.

mike04gt

Reaction score
Man, I have been living in the suburbs to long.. well not visiting the city as much as I used to. Have you ever been to Riccobenies? They are over on Th Street, If you take State St south till you hit Th just turn right and you cant miss them. There is parking under the viaduct across the street. Best breaded steak sandwich you ever have, and awesome fresh cut fries.

Yep, down off 26th street, thats the southside for sure, I don't venture down there too often since I moved up here, but yea, their breaded steak sandwiches were amazing. What burb do you live in? I was born and raised in Calumet City, and have been living in Chicago since I left high school years ago.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Somebody save this guy from himself

Me and my wife just got the house this past September, only the past 2 weeks we have been having issues with the plumbing and I have been trying to figure out the problems. Now that I found this hole in the line, it should help when we have a plumber come out and check out the basement.

According to the weather, rain is gone after tonight and snow is coming back, so I guess thats a bit better.

Do most plumbers have a special tool that can get this old cap out? It really seems like its bonded and rusted in there pretty bad, I was going to try to get it out but I didn't want to screw things up even more.

I tried to call the city many times today in the middle of sucking the water out of the basement and every time it was busy or I got put on hold for a long time, I think alot of people may have been calling.

If the city's sewers are backed up, would that cause the water in my bathtub to not drain like normal and spew water up out of the floor drain in my basement?

Also, this is the place I talked to after doing a bit of research online, found them off the actual City of Chicago website so they should be accredited with the city http://www.aplumberin1hour.com/

Thank you all for all the help and suggestions!

I hate to piss in yer wheaties bud,

but I need to make something really clear to you, because I don't care if you live with sewage in your basement for months...

but let me explain what it looks like to the lay person:

You have raw sewage contaminates in your basement, it's your plumbing system burping and puking back everything you put in it.

You see clear water, I see a small scrape on a leg or finger that leads to a staph infection, hepatitis or even worse. This is the BAD stuff that is floating in your basement. Are you going to casually call the plumber, next week when it's convenient?

I have no doubt that you're not taking precautions changing shoes before entering the upstairs of your residence, wiping down your equipment whether it's a shop vac or a simple mop, broom.

These items will eventually make it to the upper quarters of your home and if you have children, or hell somebody that has a compromised immune system,

somebody is going to bare hand one of those items and not realize when they go to do something else, that this NASTY sewage water is going to transfer and make somebody sick.

Do you realize how many people DON'T get online and post pictures of their sewage backup problems, showing the progression of a problem that's only getting worse, not better? I don't care if you bought the house yesterday at McDonald's, this casual attitude is what makes people sick, including others who will come in contact with your situation.

This scenario for the majority would of had a plumbing/drain cleaning contractor within a couple hours, addressed the situation and solved the problem immediately,

not continue to let it grow and spread and now come in contact with just about everything in that basement.

What was your time worth, posting all these pictures on this thread along with sucking 500 gallons of **** water? Do you realize that the time it took could of been better spent fixing everything else in the home?

The proper cleanup in that basement means the use of disinfectants, removal of items that need to be either tossed or taken outside and cleaned properly.

If everyone starts doing what you're doing at your home, we are truly ****ed in this world because there's a seriousness to that "water" that you think isn't harmful at this point because you're still walking eating and breathing.

You've got a bad situation, about a 9. Urine is still urine even though it's diluted down with 100's gallons of water. Same goes for feces.

It's no different than you laying in bed and just "letting go" of your bodily functions because the only difference is 1 story of height, the basement.

I started off comical in this thread, then asked more serious questions, now I'm just laying it out for all to see that you're making a mockery of yourself showing everybody "Hey folks! I got a pool in my basement! I just had a hearty meal and used the can but give it time and I'll be checking it out in the basement soon enough!"

You catch my drift, the entire WORLD at this point catches my drift, understanding that this is not "normal thinking" when it comes to a plumbing system that is malfunctioning badly and no one seems to think it's a big deal until the tubes are hooked to you in a hospital trying to save you from a raging blood infection or worse.

Take what I've put to print and understand that I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just trying to save you and your family by teaching the hazards of your situation. Clear water clogs do not mean it's sanitary, ever. Damn...

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I am in Naperville now. About 20 smething miles west of Chicago, I was born and raised in Bridgeport, by Archer and Troop.

Well go fix this guy's damn plumbing problem!

I'll call the local media so you get the star status and you'll have work streaming from this disaster even if you don't even charge!

Do it Now! That's Oprah land y'know, Jerry Springer's too.

mike04gt

Reaction score
Take what I've put to print and understand that I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just trying to save you and your family by learning the hazards of your situation. Damn...

Absolutely appreciate your post, thank you.

The only reason I posted the pictures was to show the problem areas because unlike you, I DON'T know how to fix these problems and was looking for help from people on this forum, and got some great help and suggestions actually.

I wanted to get the water out of the basement first and foremost, and it took alot of trips with the shopvac to get it all out of there. And I'm happy to say the basement is pretty dry at this point in the evening.

The next step is to fix the hole in the sewage line, and then I was planning on mopping down the entire basement with bleach.

Luckily, the basement was relatively empty. The entire floor is just concrete because we ripped out the previous owner's carpeting when we moved in due to alot of mold on the furniture that was left here. We threw every single thing out that was in this basement, and bleached the floors, and disinfected the floors and walls also.

We'll be doing that also, believe me. I saw alot of nasty water/sewage floating around down there, I used old shoes which I threw out today also. I think I took pretty good precautionary steps for never having to deal with this.

I am going to get a plumber in here on Monday, unfortunately, I am not lucky and was laid off from my job 2 months ago and can't find any work. Every plumber I called today had an extra 100.00 weekend charge which I just COULD NOT afford. You think I WANT my basement to be infested with sewage? You kidding me? I wanted to have a plumber here last night when I first found this situation, but I wanted to see if there was anything that I CAN DO to fix this myself to keep it cost effective since me and my wife are struggling to get by.

I have been working in the basement all damn day and checking this messageboard for suggestions, I didn't eat a damn thing until 10pm all day so don't think I'm taking this casually.

I appreciate you worrying about me and my wife, I really do, but don't think that I'm just some dumbass who is sitting around his house letting shit water float in his basement.

mike04gt

Reaction score
Well go fix this guy's damn plumbing problem!

I'll call the local media so you get the star status and you'll have work streaming from this disaster even if you don't even charge!

Do it Now! That's Oprah land y'know, Jerry Springer's too.

You are seriously acting ridiculous about this now.

I wanted suggestions, I'm not casual about this, I'm trying to learn and to fix things myself seeing as I lost my job and am having a hard time affording a plumber.

Thanks.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
You are seriously acting ridiculous about this now.

I wanted suggestions, I'm not casual about this, I'm trying to learn and to fix things myself seeing as I lost my job and am having a hard time affording a plumber.

Thanks.

Uh, sorry, you're dead wrong. If you need a job you get a job. You got one in the basement that'll pay you $200-$300 if you understand what I just typed below this print.

I'm a licensed Master Plumber that understands the seriousness of your situation, and I don't care how broke you are, fix your plumbing before you make someone other than your selfish self sick.

Lots of bad things going on in Illonois right now and you've not mentioned one damn time about renting a drain cleaning machine from a rental yard.

You can't afford a $55/day drain cleaning machine rental you sure in hell don't need to have the responsiblity of a house. And fix that damn car with the hood up. I'm the voice of reason whether you agree or understand it.

There's a reason why plumbing gets repaired when it malfunctions. Being tight with money is no excuse to have a poop playground in your new found discovery of home ownership. You can hate me all you want; fix your issue to safely bring your living conditions back to how normal people
live.

I've got the talent to talk you through the use of that equipment, just to get your problem resolved. Pretty damn honorable to help out a perfect stranger 2 states away that doesn't care whether I live or die. Apparently I care though, to see your problem resolved for the obvious reasons as stated.

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I missed your post #32 before typing my response. I'm not about to change what I wrote because I was responding to the post above mine.

I said it and I meant it, just didn't know the whole story behind your situation.

Rent the drain cleaning machine and this site along with others will talk you through it. This will probably not be the only time this will happen so paying somebody every time plumbing goes bad is going to be the creation of your new found plumbing skills whether you like it or not.

I'll never agree with safety taking a back step to danger. Hopefully SewerRatz? can help???? Got any favors you can pull for this guy from another plumber in his town?

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Its a beautiful thing...

We had the sewer line snaked out so now we can build a wall over the C/O and leave a little hole in it so it can "breath"...

Nice...

---------------------------------------------------

mike04gt...Im talking about the people before you...not you...

Like RUGGED said we will walk you through this...

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
bleach the floors

It would be wise to get the sewer cleaned soon

I am not sure wether you still have standing water
in your basement or not anymore...

the quicker you can get all the water out the better.....

before the wood and everything else down there gets
all saturated with funk...

then you need a mop and a lot of bleach to clean the whole place..

then you need a lot of fans to
attempt to dry the place up

wether you have a job or not is immaterial
if this is your home....

you still got to get it into ........high gear.....

dont just sit around ........

damage control is wise at this point....

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You really need to stop running water and call a pro to clean your drain ASAP!
This isn't going to get any prettier by waiting!
In fact I guarantee it's going to get pretty damn ugly!

I had a customer once that thought I was going to save the day when they finally got around to calling to have the line snaked. With over 1' of sewage standing in the basement I don't think so! Have it pumped out and call me back. Shoulda called last week!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks