Water doesn't feel soft

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by Bluffdad, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Bluffdad

Bluffdad New Member

Had a new Watts 1.5 cf softener with Clack head installed a couple of weeks ago to replace an aging Kenmore. The water has never had the "slick" feeling that the Kenmore delivered when it was working well. I ordered a Hach titration test kit and it measured hardness at one grain or less, turning blue with one drop of solution so the water is definitely soft. Why would the water have a different feel:confused:
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

It might be that the "slick" you felt was the result of bacteria. I would go more with how well soap lathers up and whether there is hard water residue left on glass/tile/dishes.
  3. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

That's a new one... bacteria makes water feel slick? I've talked to many people with bacteria problems and had my hands in their water many times and never felt slick or heard any mention of slick. A hardness test is the only way to know fer sure if the water is hard or soft.
  4. Bluffdad

Bluffdad New Member

Doesn't soft water have a different feel than hard water? My water tests soft, unless that kit just isn't accurate enough.
  5. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Yes it does but not all softened water causes a slick feel as some describe it. And I don't know why that is but as long as your Hach test kit says soft, you can know your water is 0 gpg.