Water does not completely divert from spigot to shower head.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by matapus, Dec 12, 2008.

1. matapus

matapus New Member

Dec 12, 2008
    I have a shower with 3 knobs. one hot, one cold, and a center one for shower or tub. when you turn the knob for the shower, the water keeps coming out of the spigot. how do you adjust this? thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Master Plumber Mark

Master Plumber Mark Master Plumber

Feb 6, 2005
    Sensitivity trainer...to be caring and loving to a
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
    that is normal

That is a Sayco faucet...

what you hav ein your hand is either a hot or cold stem..

for the center stem in the sayco faucet you need a special
    diverter stem...

you can put in a new diverter stem in the center
    and it might make it do a better job...

but it is normal for some to come out of the spout all
    the time
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

Jun 12, 2006
    You can also try to rebuild the diverter stem by replacing the worn-out bibb washer, o-rings, and any other seals. I also like to add a bit of plumber's grease to the inside threads.
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego
    Your middle ( diverter stem ) probably looks like this. Get a new one.

TIP: When removing or reinstalling any of these shower stems ( hot/cold/diverter) make sure the stem is turned to midway bewteen open/close positions.