Water consumption by outpatients in hospitals and clinics

Users who are viewing this thread

Totain Rukhet

Reaction score
I am searching for design estimate of daily water consumption by outpatients in health care facilities. The only data I found was about Guidelines for minimum emergency water quantity for outpatients which is 5 liters/out-patient.

I would appreciate any data about regular daily water consumption by out-patients and not just the minimum emergency storage recommendation that I found on Sphere (2004)

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I think there will be big variations in flow rates from one system to the next. I don't know of any statistics for water usage in health care facilities. You might have to add up all the fixtures that could be used at the same time to figure a maximum flow rate.

Totain Rukhet

Reaction score
I think there will be big variations in flow rates from one system to the next. I don't know of any statistics for water usage in health care facilities. You might have to add up all the fixtures that could be used at the same time to figure a maximum flow rate.
Reply: Thanks. The maximum flow rate would help me design pipe sizes but not the size of the water tank. So I am still looking for consumption rates.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Reply: Thanks. The maximum flow rate would help me design pipe sizes but not the size of the water tank. So I am still looking for consumption rates.

Well if you know the maximum flow rate, all you need is to decide for how long you want to maintain that flow rate, and you can size the storage tank.

Totain Rukhet

Reaction score
Well if you know the maximum flow rate, all you need is to decide for how long you want to maintain that flow rate, and you can size the storage tank.
I am simply looking for water consumption by outpatients. Such data exists for a host of other categories, for example office workers, inpatients in hospitals, practitioners, students (day and boarding) passengers at airports and bus stations, barbers, worship houses, etc. That is all I am looking for and no more and no less for the outpatient in health care centers: Thanks a lot.

Reaction score
When you say "outpatients health care centers" I'm assuming this would mean only some given operating hours? (e.g. 7 am - 7 pm or similar and no overnight stays.) It sounds like something that will very much depend on the type of outpatient treatment offered.

One could likely estimate it based on number of staff, number of patients seen per day, number of toilet flushes, showers (if applicable), handwashing, and laundry/equipment/lab water usage. If there is a cafeteria there would be additional use for that. Any landscaping water use, pools (rehabilitation for injuries), or decorative fountains? Add in a design factor to size the tank.

Have you asked any similar facilities in the region for their average daily water use? Will water be supplied by tanker or cistern or is it connected to a constant water supply?

Totain Rukhet

Reaction score
When you say "outpatients health care centers" I'm assuming this would mean only some given operating hours? (e.g. 7 am - 7 pm or similar and no overnight stays.) It sounds like something that will very much depend on the type of outpatient treatment offered.

One could likely estimate it based on number of staff, number of patients seen per day, number of toilet flushes, showers (if applicable), handwashing, and laundry/equipment/lab water usage. If there is a cafeteria there would be additional use for that. Any landscaping water use, pools (rehabilitation for injuries), or decorative fountains? Add in a design factor to size the tank.

Have you asked any similar facilities in the region for their average daily water use? Will water be supplied by tanker or cistern or is it connected to a constant water supply?
Thanks for the meaningful comments and questions about the scenario. The outpatient health center is basically a primary health care unit for the local residents, consisting of about 30 medical doctors, a couple of dentists, about the same number of nurses and another 5 persons for cleaning and other duties and about 4 people in administration. The clinic is visited by about 450 patients on the busiest day of the year, so the design capacity of the tank should accommodate these number of patients even though the average number of patients is much lesser, when the number of medical staff is about 10 doctors.
There is no municipal water supply and the tank is filled by tankers. The idea is to have sufficient storage capacity for at least three days.
The health centers operates for only 8 hours per day.
I could ask the other health centers for water consumption, but wish to first have an educated guesstimate from any data that might exist similar to tons of data for other applications, such as hospitals, hotels, airports, bus stands, etc.
Thanks in advance.

Totain Rukhet

Reaction score
Thanks for the meaningful comments and questions about the scenario. The outpatient health center is basically a primary health care unit for the local residents, consisting of about 30 medical doctors, a couple of dentists, about the same number of nurses and another 5 persons for cleaning and other duties and about 4 people in administration. The clinic is visited by about 450 patients on the busiest day of the year, so the design capacity of the tank should accommodate these number of patients even though the average number of patients is much lesser, when the number of medical staff is about 10 doctors.
There is no municipal water supply and the tank is filled by tankers. The idea is to have sufficient storage capacity for at least three days.
The health centers operates for only 8 hours per day.
I could ask the other health centers for water consumption, but wish to first have an educated guesstimate from any data that might exist similar to tons of data for other applications, such as hospitals, hotels, airports, bus stands, etc.
Thanks in advance.
Continued: There is no cafeteria or irrigation needs for landscaping, no hydrotherapy or special pools or decorative fountains.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks